Changing CPS supplier

Options
I was previously with CPS Just Dial, now taken over by Onetel/TalkTalk.

There would be some price advantages to changing to Primus Saver Option 2, but not huge ones.

Is changing CPS supplier a straightforward process - or can you end up in limbo and wish you'd never bothered?

Can it end up affecting line characteristics because of switching in the exchange and thus affect broadband speeds too?

I'd be glad to hear of any experiences. Thanks

Comments

• Arkad
    Arkad Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've changed CPS twice over the last couple of years and didn't suffer any disruption at all.

The process involves:

1. Signing up to a new provider
    2. Getting a letter from them to say what date you'll be changed over on.
    3. Getting a letter/phone call from your old supplier to try and persuade you not to move.
    4. The new supplier billing you from the switchover date.

Painless really.

BTW, I moved from Just Dial to Plusnet. You may find you can get a better deal with them. I should add that I may be biassed as I own shares in Plusnet.

Arkad
    The Richest Man in Atherstone
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    But you have to take Plusnet Broadband and move your line rental from BT which is not a good idea,because they can block calls to thelikes of 1899,and their can be fault repair problems.

http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/home/index.shtml?resmenu=phonecalls_home

Plusnet also charge £1 a month for basic 1571 voicemail,and £1.50p a month for caller display.Which means your pay another £30 a year compared to BT;) .

http://www.plus.net/images/residential/voice/pdf/home_phone_tariffs.pdf
  • Arkad
    First Post
    Options
    That's right, you do have to switch the line rental as well but I don't think you have to switch your broadband.

It worked for us because we don't use 1571 or caller display. By getting the anytime package for £15pm (inc line rental), all landline calls are free and as we seldom call mobiles or overseas, there's no need to use 1899, 18866 etc. Our volume of calls meant that the JustDial fee and call costs to 1899 came to more than the £4pm we would pay on top of line rental with Plusnet. Additionally, the tarrif was favourable, all our bills were in one place and it's a 1 month rolling contract (no 18month/12month tie-in).

Obviously, everyone has to choose the supplier and package that suits their own particular needs. :)
  • hurrah
    hurrah Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    Arkad wrote:
    I don't think you have to switch your broadband.

From their site

"You need to have PlusNet broadband before you can start making Home Phone calls."

http://www.plus.net/residential/phonecalls/home/product_sales.shtml

Landline calls are not free you pay £4 a month for them.You can get 100 peak calls a month for this on 1899/18185,do you make that many. Plus all your evening and weekend calls free from primus saver 2. Plus unlike with plusnet you dont pay if your away Eg: Holidays.Nor do you have a min term.
  • Arkad
    First Post
    Options
    My apologies hurrah, you're right - you do have to take their broadband.

Thanks for thanking me. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family