postoffice savings and tax please help

Options
right im new to savings ive started saving 650 a month started october 25 and only got 650 in it got a credit of 1.05 and a tax deduct of 11p im not bothred withit being 11p but ius this what hell be like all time taxing me on the intreset or the acutually savings? i thoughtt u didnt get tax b4 £6500 please help
Debt free in January 2011 dont owe a penny to anyone after 8 years in the red :beer:

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    bambi1984 wrote: »
    right im new to savings ive started saving 650 a month started october 25 and only got 650 in it got a credit of 1.05 and a tax deduct of 11p im not bothred withit being 11p but ius this what hell be like all time taxing me on the intreset or the acutually savings? i thoughtt u didnt get tax b4 £6500 please help
    Savings interest is taxed at 20% unless you are a non-taxpayer (tax bands HERE) - if you qualify for gross interest, i.e. your total income is less than your allowance, you need to complete a form R85 - see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-free-interest.htm
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    To reclaim tax already paid on interest you require an R40.
  • bambi1984
    Options
    its just a single savers account but it sounds right 20% of the interest tax. Ill only be saving max of £6000 for a nice car and pay insurance off in full
    Debt free in January 2011 dont owe a penny to anyone after 8 years in the red :beer:
  • psychic_teabag
    Options
    Since you're saving monthly for a specific short-term goal, you could consider a regular savings account which gives a higher interest rate. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2010 at 1:39AM
    Options

If you are saving £650 pmonth then you must be earning more than £6500 per year, so you get taxed on savings interest.
    And you say in one of your other posts:
    also rompa do u pay interest even if ur not over the allocated alowence is this just on the interest are the actually balance? or interest earnt !! yeah i am also the basic tax payer

And as a basic rate tax payer, you paid 11p on £1.05 (or maybe £1.16)? You did well then.
    It's a wind up, right? Quite funny though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure