Sample Engineers Report - Laptop & PC Repair

Options
pan111
pan111 Posts: 90 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 30 November 2010 at 8:22PM in Techie Stuff
I provide PC & Laptop repair services in my area, but have been asked to write an engineers report for an insurance company on a faulty Laptop.

I have a rough idea on what to include, but not how to lay it all out.

I would appreciate any links to example engineers reports or if anyone would like to share one that would be a great help.

If you have a copy of one thats been done for you as part of an insurance claim, please could I have a looky?

Either a PM to a link or an email would be good if you dont wish to post in open forum

My business is purely part time and Im by no means a big business.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2010 at 10:53PM
    Options
    No need to do anything special and there is no set format other than to make sure you include your relevant qualification.. They basically want confirmation in writing of the fault from a technically qualified person. You have got qualifications, haven't you such as BTEC Electronic Engineering or a PC hardware related one? Its usually not enough just to put that you have a business repairing laptops and that X is the problem so if you're just a bloke who happens to have turned a hobby into a business and you've no technical qualifications then I'd politely say you can't or don't do them.

Just put it all down and be thorough. I usually write down the process I took or if its something like a laptop with a nVidia 8x00 graphics chip in which has a known manufacturing fault, put that the fault is attributable to that and a reference to a credible source - in this case a press release from nVidia. You will most likely get a phone call from the insurers or one of their agents if you do an engineers report so don't lie or embellish the problem.

Oh and finally, CHARGE THEM FOR PRODUCING ONE - I charge £30. Like a naive fool, I used to do them for free hoping to get the work. I soon realised that the people asking for them only wanted a payout to either buy a new one or go down the pub with the cheque.
  • pan111
    edited 1 December 2010 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Yes, definitely charging for it...

I have a Computing HND plus have worked as a computer tech in the public and private sectors for 15 years

I don't have hardware specific qualifications but know my way around them.

The report is for a Laptop with a cracked screen...its pretty cut and dried as to the cause...a drop/impact, rather than wear and tear/manufacturing defect. So far I have a checklist for each part of the Laptop, alongside which I state the condition. Then I have a summary area at the bottom where I state my findings.

I have an area in the report for my businesses details, the customer details and the equipment details.

Would you be willing to share an example of one with me? Cheeky I know seeing as Id be charging the customer for it :money:
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    pan111 wrote: »
    Yes, definitely charging for it...

I have a Computing HND plus have worked as a computer tech in the public and private sectors for 15 years

I don't have hardware specific qualifications but know my way around them.

The report is for a Laptop with a cracked screen...its pretty cut and dried as to the cause...a drop/impact, rather than wear and tear/manufacturing defect. So far I have a checklist for each part of the Laptop, alongside which which I state the condition. Then I have a summary area at the bottom where I state my findings.

I have an area in the report for my businesses details, the customer details and the equipment details.

Would you be willing to share an example of one with me? Cheeky I know seeing as Id be charging the customer for it :money:

Your quals are more than sufficient - I was just making sure you weren't someone who built a couple of desktop of your own, does them for friends and decided to have a go like the majority of those advertising their services in my local rag are.

No point giving you an example as you have it pretty much covered. As its a screen, I'd also put in a replacement bezel if you haven't already. For example on Lenovo Thinkpads it is nigh on impossible to remove the bezel without shafting the plastic locking tabs.
  • pan111
    Options
    OK I'm happier now...

I've replaced a screen on a Laptop of this model in the past and its pretty straight forward with no bezel damage. My next question was quoting for replacement parts.

For example I can get an A Grade screen from eBay for around £70, but a genuine replacement screen from the manufacturer is £334...am I required to quote for the cheapest component regardless where from or am I expected by the insurance company to go for genuine items.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I'd NOT use eBay for quotes! to many issues with eBay.

Search/google around for 3rd party manufacturers for the screens (it's probably the same screen without the badge!)
    If the eBay reseller has a site then quote the SITE details not eBay.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure