can a uk seller list item in us dollars?

i saw a item like one i have sell on uk ebay from a uk based seller but the auction was in u.s dollars

it got a great price and id like to sell mine with a similar auction , is it possible for me to list it in us$

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why not?

I once bought some records from a seller in France who worked in US dollars.
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Why would you want to sell in us dollars in the uk?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are you sure the auction wasn't originally listed on ebay.com and just showing an item location as UK?

AS far as I am aware you can only list in the currency of the ebay location you are using. If I list on ebay UK my items show as sterling and i get paid in sterling. If I list on ebay.com my items show in dollars and i get paid in dollars. However both those items would show in a search on ebay.UK.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    soolin so can i log onto .com and list my item there like you mention above but with .co.uk account ?

his auction was in usd $ , loction united kindom

id like to list my item the same as he got a very good price for it , and maybe american buyers feel a bit happier bidding in usd , or didnt notice he was from here
  • soolin
    steveo3002 wrote: »
    soolin so can i log onto .com and list my item there like you mention above but with .co.uk account ?

his auction was in usd $ , loction united kindom

id like to list my item the same as he got a very good price for it , and maybe american buyers feel a bit happier bidding in usd , or didnt notice he was from here

Yes you can but make sure you understand what you are doing as once you log into ebay.com you follow their rules and not those on ebay.UK.

For instance the home market will be the US so domestic shipping quoted will be for the American buyers, so make sure you set that correctly. Overseas postage then will be the UK etc. I find it doesn't hurt to mention on your listing that you and the item are in the UK and the goods will be shipped from the UK via airmail post. I have had issues with US buyers not understanding what my location actually meant and expecting goods in a day or two.

You will also be paid in dollars, so probably best to set it as paypal only as you won't want dolalr cheques. The money will go into paypal as usual but will show in a different pot and rmeain in dollars. You can draw it out to your UK bank account exactly as you would the sterling balance but you pay a small conversion rate fee.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    I should also mention that there has been some free listings even for business sellers on ebay.com incertain categories. I think ti was 5 free listings a month. You do pay extra on ebay.com though for 10 days auctions rather than 7 day ones. Also like the UK there are some caetgories where postage is capped and in that case you will be capped on your domestic (ie US) postage and will need to add it to the start price.
  • steveo3002
    right thanks will have a look

he had just written on the description , postage from uk £xx and the calculator didnt offer a price
  • soolin
    steveo3002 wrote: »
    right thanks will have a look

he had just written on the description , postage from uk £xx and the calculator didnt offer a price

I didn't think you couldl ist on ebay.com without showing a postage cost, hmm. That might be why the price was so good then if the buyer hadn't realised he was paying shipping from the UK as the invoice can only have shown no postage at all in the p and P field if buyer paid.

Personally I would have the postage included to avoid anyone paying without postage being added.
  • soolin
    I just tried listing an item on ebay.com without specifying domestic shipping costs and I get blocked with the message:

Please provide the correct information in the highlighted fields.
  • steveo3002
    so would i have to accpet u.s rates if my item sold? it must have been worldwide so anyones guess who got it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure