Dla nightmare

My son has Autism and has been in receipt of high care and high mobility for past 3 years. I have a mobility car for him and cannot move without it (I have 2 other kids, one of them also have autism). Just done my DLA renewal and been awarded low and low rates. When I opened the letter I was astounded. Had it relooked at and awarded middle care low mobility. I explained on the phone that Im up most of the night with him and was told the assessor has written up that I can use plastic sheeting on the bed (so when he wets the bed have I just to leave him lying in it......but at least the mattress will be dry????) and that I could use an alarm system to alert me if he wakens. Well, obviously if an alarm belted out in the middle of the night my son would be terrified, agitated and it would take me a lot longer to settle him. The problem is not me sleeping through him getting up, its tryin to resettle him. I just feel like tearing my hair out. The people who have assessed my claim obviously know NOTHING about Autism. My life really is stressful enough without all this. I have to fight to get through each day which is filled with challenging behaviour and emotional outbursts, Im exhausted. Why does this process have to put so much pressure on us????? Phew

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    If you disagree with their decision you can appeal.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • you need to appeal,but get help from cab or welfare rights
    good luck
  • They sent me out the appeal form and Ive requested copies of the decision makers notes. I have exactly 3 weeks from the date I phoned them to return this and they said the reviewers notes will take 2 weeks to get to me. Gives me a week to complete and send to them. Doesnt sound right eh?
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you ask for a statement of reasons, you get an extra 14 days.

For the next week or two keep a diary, explaining the problems that your son has.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Oh thanks, they never told me that. Gave me the date after Id asked for the statements as well, Ill phone them tomorrow.
    Ive started keeping a diary of every day since they first awarded me low and low.
    Its quite lengthy and to be quite honest I wasnt even aware that I had so much going on each day.
    Thanks very much
  • laurenjs88
    laurenjs88 Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    *hugs* dont know what to say but good luck and I hope the appeal is succesful! My cousin is a 1-1 support for children with Autism in schools I often here her stories of how exaughsting it can be!
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make £11k in 2011 £0/£11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • JG1984
    JG1984 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Our son also has autism and his renewal is early next year ,dreading it.
    I found the night time situation intresting as we were told a similar thing, my sons incontinent and wears nappies and has frequent loose bowel movements day and night and they decided that he should be left through the night in his own mess and bam there you go he doesnt have night time needs,no parent would leave their child sat in urine and bowel waste for a 10 hour period in fact i think that would be referred to as neglect, i didnt need to appeal for his hrc award after discussing this matter over the phone they looked at it again and changed his award, but im completely expecting the same ill informed ignorance this time around. I hope you have success in getting your son the correct award for his needs.
  • samdvf
    samdvf Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a friend who works in the lower level offices for DLA appeals and she says that appeals supported by the Citizens Advice Bereau are passed in your favour by nearly 40% more than without.

Go to your local one in the morning and don't leave until someone there helps you. They have a wealth of information to help, and it will take some of the stress off your shoulders.

And they can give you tips and hints for future help, maybe different companies and charities giving help and equipment for your situation.

xxx God bless xxx
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    samdvf wrote: »
    I have a friend who works in the lower level offices for DLA appeals and she says that appeals supported by the Citizens Advice Bereau are passed in your favour by nearly 40% more than without.

Go to your local one in the morning and don't leave until someone there helps you. They have a wealth of information to help, and it will take some of the stress off your shoulders.

And they can give you tips and hints for future help, maybe different companies and charities giving help and equipment for your situation.

xxx God bless xxx

CAB dont support claims, thats not their job and your friend needs further training if they think so.

CAB dont even help out with form filling for initial claims most of the time now due to constrants, never mind supporting those claims at the outset or at appeal :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Thank you everyone for ur advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport