What happens at the end of a DRO?

Hi,

I was discharged from my DRO at the end of October, just wondering what will happen next?

Currently bank with Santander and I'm after upgrading my account so I can get a debit card (dont want an overdraft or anything). I've been rejected due after an Experian credit check (tried signing up to their site but you need a debit card to be able to :@ ! )

Also tried getting a cheque book but can't as I've only got a basic account!

I was told if I can get in writing something in writing to say my DRO has ended and I'm debt free, I could send a copy to Experian so they can update their records and also take it in branch and I should be able to get a cheque book.

Do I have to be patient and wait for this to come through? Will I get anything at all? Or is there someone I can chase/apply for a copy in the meantime?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2010 at 8:36PM
    You can get your experian report by sending a postal order for £2 (there is an application form you can download from experian or the other agencies).

Your DRO will show on your credit file for 6years and I would imagine will mean you will still find it difficult to get more than a basic bank account.

Might be worth having a read of this thread which is about bankrupty but its probably sensible to do a similar check with a DRO as it is very similar to bankruptcy- Credit Reference File Clean Up Post Bankruptcy

Or post your question on here Debt Relief Orders - Information & help as it will be more likely to be read by people who have been through a DRO

You could try moving to a basic bank account that has a debit card - a list of those that do are here - http://www.moneymadeclear.org.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf (page 5)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Thank you! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills