Tinkers hurt.

Options
Our cat arrived back from an outing this morning with an injury just like a puncture would just under her ear. she was bleeding slightly. I cleaned her up with some warm water.

Tonight , as she has been cleaning it her self i notice another 2 puncture wounds, she doesnt seem ill, she is cleaning it herself, eating okay, still going out in the snow to do her business and seems healthy enough. It is swollen and a bit purple. Obviously i will see what she is like in the morning before i ring the VET, but is there anything I can do in the meantime. Do i leave her to look after it as nature intended or can anyone suggest anything else. I dont want to put anything on that will upset her digestion.
make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.

Comments

• mustangsal
    Options
    I'd wash it with warm salt water then put a little antiseptic cream on it. Would still visit vet to be on safe side. Sounds like another cat has bitten her and cat bites can become infected very easily. HTH.
    Unfortunately,
    MONEY makes the world go round.
    Bah Humbug!!!!
    :snow_laug:snow_laug:snow_laug
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that, she is the most timid cat you could meet (with humans) she is the most viscious cat you could meet when she sees another cat so its probably divine intervention she has to cop it every now and again.
  • puppypants
    puppypants Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    The 'salt water' mentioned by the other poster should be one teaspoon of salt to one pint of water. This gives the strength of normal saline which is used in hospitals etc. HTH X
  • McKneff
    Options
    oh oh, too late, some water in a bowl, four shakes of salt...................................

We'll see what she's like in the morning.

This is terrible, she is a nine year old cat, inherited when our daughter moved in with her 3 year ago. she has left her with us
    at our request moved out an and quite happy to do so. Gawd, you feel so helpless, so guilty, like having a baby who cant tell you whats wrong.
  • mustangsal
    Options
    Cat's can be a real nightmare for this type of thing. Don't blame yourself. They get themselves into scrapes all the time, there's nothing you can do to stop it.
    Unfortunately,
    MONEY makes the world go round.
    Bah Humbug!!!!
    :snow_laug:snow_laug:snow_laug
  • McKneff
    Options
    I rang the vets this mornng as hse has been scratting at it during the night. There is now a baldish patch which is purple which i presume is bruising and 3 puncture woulnds. I suppose she has been lucky for this to be the worst she has ever come off in a cat fight, shes a bully so she has probably had her just deserts, perhaps it will teach her (but i think not)
    The vet said to keep on with the salt water but wants to see her this evening just incase infection sets in.
    She (tinker) is being completely normal, eating, drinking, sleeping, wowling for even mor food as usual.
    I think the snow is confusing her when we goes out for 60 seconds flat, out, do the business in. lol.

Thanks for your help.
  • missmontana
    missmontana Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone told me they always put germoline on their cats and dogs cuts!

Hope she's ok now.
    Be who you are, say what you feel, those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind.
    They say that talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness. So I talk to the cats instead.
  • McKneff
    Options
    The Vet has kept her in overnight, she has been scratting at it today and it looked angry, he says that there seems to be a bit of an abcess now. Anyway, she is in the best place really, Im just missing her sitting beside me as she usually is now. Its strange but she is her usual self, eating, drinking and the rest lol.

Anyway, We'll ring tomorrow to see how she is.
    Thanks for your input all.
  • McKneff
    Options
    She is home tonight, with one of those small funnel collars on, not happy about the collar at all. They have cleaned her bite and abcess up and although it looks quite nasty she seems quite normal. We were told just to give her a quarter of her quota of food and she wolfed it down, now, she's just wowling for more. Im sure she'll be fine.

Owner is paying up and smiling, thank goodness for Pet Plan. Just the excess of £90 to pay.
    I pity anyone who has no insurance. It was neck end of £300.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport