Worried about my Rabbit in the cold!

Options
hi everyone

will my rabbit be ok in this weather?

i live in the south east and the temperatures are going to about -5 overnight

he is in the garage in his hutch which has a blanket over it.. loads of hay and straw and food etc

is it going to be too cold for him?

he seems a little bit quieter than usual but aprt from that he is eating well etc

i *could* bring his hutch into the house but i think it would be too warm with the central heating on.. we have it very warm in here!

will he be ok in the garage?
£608.98
£80
£1288.99
£85.90
£154.98

Comments

• Alcmene
    Alcmene Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you not bring him into the house? It is rather chilly out.
  • thatgirlsam
    thatgirlsam Posts: 10,451 Forumite
    Options
    Alcmene wrote: »
    Can you not bring him into the house? It is rather chilly out.

yes, i could... but its very warm in here.. do you think if he came in he would be too hot?

and then if he gets used to the temperature of the house would he feel the cold even more when he goes back out? (he can't stay in the house ALL winter but wouldn't mind when its so cold like this)

i don't want him being too cold in the garage.. this is the first rabbit we have ever had so im unsure what to do
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • skint_chick
    Options
    I don't think he'd be too cold in the house - we have a house rabbit who's indoors all the time and even with the heating on she's not too warm. If you bring him in don't leave the blanket over him just have him in his cage at room temperature. We've never had a too warm issue with our rabbit - she doesn't seem to drink excessively and although her ears are warm she never seems to get too hot - in the summer she loves lying outside sunning herself!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As long as your rabbit has lots of hay to snuggle into and he isn't damp he will be fine in the garage.. Rabbits are quite hardy creatures and will make a nest and be fine..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • thatgirlsam
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »

thanks .. was having a quick google aswell myself and it does seem that he will be ok out there, he is out of the wind, is dry and has plenty of food and water

i can't help worry but i have to remember he is an animal with a fur coat... not a wimpy human like me ;)
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • Guinea_2
    Guinea_2 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    My rabbit is still out in the garden at the moment. I will be bringing him in to the garage this week though. I do put a duvet over the top of the hutch when he's outside. He's survived for five years like this so I hope he'll be okay again this winter.
    :love:Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • dirtmother
    Options
    Get another rabbit then they can snuggle up together?
  • thatgirlsam
    Options
    dirtmother wrote: »
    Get another rabbit then they can snuggle up together?

i have to have his balls crunched first :o

this is on the agenda as he has taken to humping my daughters leg if he can catch hold of her ;)

when we have done this we shall get him a friend :)
    £608.98
    £80
    £1288.99
    £85.90
    £154.98
  • Elsiebunny
    Options
    I think he will be fine, if he's been out there through the year he will have a nice cosy winter coat! Mine are completely outside although they have each other for warmth, but in the garage still check his water bottle isn't frozen and give him lots of hay. I'm sure he'll love his new bunny friend :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure