MSE News: Currys and PC World launch laptop scrappage scheme – any good?

Options
13»

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    aliboss wrote: »
    Before you trade in your old laptop think what may be left on the hard drive that could be either embarrassing or useful to a thief. Deleting data in the normal way may not prevent it from being retreived at a later date. Remember Gary Glitter took his computer in to be repaired. The rest is history.Of course I am not implying that anybody at PC world would do anything unprofessional but who knows where these old laptops will end up.

I agree and used Ccleaner - set on 7 passes to delete all my data
  • Princessz_2
    Princessz_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 4 December 2010 at 10:46AM
    Options
    How about the HP trade in scheme? You can get £150 off your 5 year old laptop as long as its a laptop, works and comes with the battery and charger. I saw this deal here: tradeuptohp . com / valuator . php
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Princessz wrote: »
    How about the HP trade in scheme? You can get £150 off your 5 year old laptop as long as its a laptop, works and comes with the battery and charger. I saw this deal here: http:// tradeuptohp. com/ valuator. php
    The problem with this - is that they only offer cashback on certain (up to 5 year old) laptops and then only on the purchase of certain (expensive) models
    For example - They would not offer me £150 against a 9 year old Acer against a sub £300 laptop !!
  • Princessz_2
    Options
    Well, I have an HP qualifying laptop, and I purchased a new touchscreen laptop from them yesterday after finding out about this and shortly after writing about it here. What I like is that you can send your old laptop AFTER you buy the new one because then I can erase all data from my machine to my satisfaction. And the bestest thing is that I found a way to get an extra 18% off the price (which sadly was valid only yesterday, hence the rush to buy) plus 2 years free warranty. I just hope they accept my old laptop in the condition that its in, because just before my purchase something unspeakable happened to it. Fingers crossed! If all goes as planned, I will have bought a £700 laptop of my choice for just over £400! That's MUCH better than Curry's!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure