MSE News: Currys and PC World launch laptop scrappage scheme – any good?

Options

Comments

• arctic_fox_2
    Options
    Contactd Currys and PC World to be told that this offer does not apply to Netbooks!
  • I contacted PC World Romford and they said you get £30 off any Netbook, £70 off any laptop upto £499.99 of £100 off any laptop £500+, but the unit traded in must be a laptop, not a netbook.:T
  • arctic_fox_2
    Options
    They are all doing the same thing then............not!

Seems my old laptop can only be traded in against another laptop or desktop and not a netbook as their website suggests!
  • abgator
    Options
    Just spoke to my local store and they confirmed that you could return a £550 laptop (that you paid £450 for) within the 7 day cool off period and get £450 cash plus £100 voucher.

Effectively meaning you can just trade in any laptop to recieve a £100 currys voucher!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 November 2010 at 9:58AM
    Options
    Does my 9 year old Acer Travelmate 210 qualify ?
    It has a 700MHZ celeron processor - 256Mb ram (upgraded from 128Mb) and a 40Gb harddrive (upgraded from 10Gb) ?
    It does still boot up (the battery runs for 10 secs)
    I am looking at a Netbook (£199)
    Does the original Operating System have to be installed / CD supplied ? - or does it just have to boot up ?
    Just tried it - the BIOS battery is dead - but press F1 and it still boots into XP
    What will they do with them anyway ?
    Scrap them or recycle them ?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    .....Yes it did
    I bought an HP G56-105SA - reduced from £439.99 to £299.00 - with a further £70 part ex - for my 9 year old Acer
    Bringing it down to £229 - a bargain
    OK it may not be the fastest laptop on the block (single core 2.2Ghz AMD ) 2Gb RAM, 250 Gb HDD - But it runs Windows 7 Premium and is much better value than a "netbook"
    I am happy anyway
  • rydalong
    Options
    Only had one experience with PC World and that bunch. Never again.
  • briesmith
    Options
    This PC World "offer" is just the latest in a history of mankind long scam.

The wise shopper when buying something buys what they want and nothing else.

So, never part exchange your car. Buy the one you want; one transaction on the best terms you can get. Sell your old car; one transaction on the best terms you can get.

Want to bet? Stake singles, never buy multiple bets like accumulators, Yankees etc. Just back the horse(s) you fancy at the best price you can get.

Want a laptop? Choose your model and then shop around for it using price comparison websites and personal visits (if you enjoy looking at the things and haggling). Got an old one to get rid off? Sell it, to a friend, on eBay whatever, or just give it away if it's really old.

If you do the PC World gig, remember you now own a laptop you bought from possibly the single worst PC supplier in the world and the price, specification, after sales deal and so on were all polluted and not straightforward because of the trade-in.

KISS always applies and if something wasn't in the sellers best interest then they wouldn't do it. (Would you?).

Remember Endowment Mortgages? These weren't really any different from any other mortgage at the end of the day. All that happened was that borrowers bought two products at the same time; a mortgage (nothing wrong with that) and an insurance policy (ummm). The problems arose when the two products had to work together; sometimes they did and sometimes - especially towards the end of their life - they didn't.

Someone looking at an endowment mortgage should have remembered KISS. Buy the mortgage you want/need and if you are also in the market for an insurance policy, well buy one of those as well. But keep the two transactions separate.

The same applies today with so called "repayment protection" policies sold with loans. If you need a loan use MSE to find the best one - remember to ask yourself the "if the worst happens, can I pay this back" question - and take it.

If you should decide you would also like repayment protection then buy that but as a totally separate transaction with all the looking around, comparing etc that the purchase justifies.

Keep a clear head, be patient and always remember: they want your money, nothing else. They're certainly not looking for a lifelong customer and they don't want you as a friend either. Buy what you want not what they want to sell you.
  • aliboss
    Options
    Before you trade in your old laptop think what may be left on the hard drive that could be either embarrassing or useful to a thief. Deleting data in the normal way may not prevent it from being retreived at a later date. Remember Gary Glitter took his computer in to be repaired. The rest is history.Of course I am not implying that anybody at PC world would do anything unprofessional but who knows where these old laptops will end up.
  • Squirrelking
    Options
    Haha, wonder if I have anything to do with the restrictions?

Under the previous £50 trade in offer I actually managed to exchange a roughly 13 year old Toshiba Satellite 230C with a 486DX processor and 64kb RAM booting into Win98. Suited me fine, I'd only kept it to play old DOS based games but managed to exchange it for a nice little Samsung netbook for my wifes birthday. They guy who took it couldn't keep a straight face although it did meet all the criteria for the deal.

Can't imagine the bean counters were too happy though :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport