MSE News: Halifax to hike standard variable mortgage rate for new borrowers

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The government-backed bank's SVR for new customers will rise from 3.5% to 3.99% on 4 January ..."

Replies

• LilacPixieLilacPixie Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I wonder if this could affect me?? we move in 2 weeks, formal offer received but solicitor has not yet applied to draw down funds. I think we will just miss it as our deal ends December 2012.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Though if you opt for a further fixed term product then you'll pay the new rate at the end of that term.
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • ILWILW
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they know something?
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ILW wrote: »
    Do they know something?

Whose "they" ?
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do they know something?

yes they know charging base +3 is not enough.
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • LilacPixie wrote: »
    Hmm I wonder if this could affect me?? we move in 2 weeks, formal offer received but solicitor has not yet applied to draw down funds. I think we will just miss it as our deal ends December 2012.
    Hi,

I work for Halifax, if you do your mortgage application before the 4th of Jan 11 then your SVR rate be at 3.5%, any applications after the 4th Jan will be 3.99% SVR.

Dan
    :j

Daniel Carter
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

I work for Halifax, if you do your mortgage application before the 4th of Jan 11 then your SVR rate be at 3.5%, any applications after the 4th Jan will be 3.99% SVR.

Dan

And then move onto the new rate soon after thats what SVR means standard VARIABLE rate..

Any loan that reverts to SVR will be at the rate preavaling at the time of reversion NOT the rate when they took out the loan.

I how you are not in a customer advisory possition.
  • And then move onto the new rate soon after thats what SVR means standard VARIABLE rate..

Any loan that reverts to SVR will be at the rate preavaling at the time of reversion NOT the rate when they took out the loan.

I how you are not in a customer advisory possition.

I think danieljohncarter was right, actually.

The way I read it is that anyone applying for a new mortgage from 4 January 2011 will eventually revert to the new Homeowner Variable Rate.

Existing borrowers - and those who applied for their mortgage before 4 January 2011, will revert to Halifax's original SVR.

@getmore4less - feel free to apologise to danieljohncarter as you see fit.
  • ILWILW
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past many banks had two SVRs.
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the past many banks had two SVRs.

Nationwide are similar - they have the BMR (the nice low one that older mortgages revert to) and the higher SMR that more recent mortgages go to.

Hurray for being old. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides