Real Life MMD: Should we keep the wine?

Options

Comments

• heth
    heth Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "I find it almost laughable that one person posting claims he/she spots 20p errors in the supermarket bill. That sounds like a complete exaggeration to me and devalues their opinion to worthlessness.
    "

- if you think this is an exaggeration you obviously don't make a habit of checking your supermarket bill. I check all the special offers & reductions and frequently find that something's wrong - either the system hasn't been updated with reduced price, in which case you get the money back, or misleading labelling (in which case if or the supermarket won't honour the offer you either swap the goods for something the reduction does apply to, or say you don't want the goods & insist on a refund).

Try checking your bill for a week or two & see how many errors you find!
  • Hastobe_Katt
    Options
    heth wrote: »

Likewise, I always check my receipts and regularly find errors. Sometimes a lot more than 20p!
  • tuk585
    tuk585 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I also check the offers are correct and often find errors - never in my favour though!
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well of course it is not yours and you should do your utmost to return it - within reason.

Is the customker service a freefone number or does it cost you to keep calling them?
    Do you have time to keep calling them?

If the number costs, I'd say you had done what is fair. If it is free, and you can spare the time, I would give them a couple more chances to answer your call before giving up.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    heth wrote: »
    "I find it almost laughable that one person posting claims he/she spots 20p errors in the supermarket bill. That sounds like a complete exaggeration to me and devalues their opinion to worthlessness."

- if you think this is an exaggeration you obviously don't make a habit of checking your supermarket bill. I check all the special offers & reductions and frequently find that something's wrong - either the system hasn't been updated with reduced price, in which case you get the money back, or misleading labelling (in which case if or the supermarket won't honour the offer you either swap the goods for something the reduction does apply to, or say you don't want the goods & insist on a refund).

My home delivery bills are often out by quite a bit. Sometimes offers don't go through or they only have two of an item that is on a 3 for whatever offer and so deliver two and charge both at the full price. It is foolish not to check your till receipts and ratehr arrogan to think that there will not be the occasional error.
  • I would return it....my integrity is worth more than a couple of bottles of wine. Might not be fashionable answer but I believe do as you would be done by.
  • Littlemissteapot
    Littlemissteapot Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2010 at 7:30PM
    Options
    shellsuit wrote: »
    are you having a laugh?

Why the hell should they go out of their way to return them?

Don't Feed The Trolls
  • rob_2512
    Options
    It is an "unsolicited gift".

From memory, if you don't tell the retailer, you have to keep it for 1 year in which time they can ask for it back and you have to give it to them. If you tell them about it (which you have) that time period is reduced to 14 days.

Keep it for 14 days and it is then legally yours now.

If your conscience bugs you about this, donate an amount of money equal to what you would have spent on the wine to a charity.
    tryfive wrote: »
    YES! Keep them!

Legally, this is called an "unsolicited gift" - under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000, they're now yours (see also "inertia selling" in the same act)

If you really, really, reallywant to return them to the company in question, get in touch with them (obviously, don't bother phoning them again! Eamil perhaps?). Offer to allow them to collect them at a time which is convenient to you. If they haven't collected them in (say) 14 days, say that you're keeping them as an unsolicited gift.

You don't have to do this, but it's up to you.

And please, please! Tell me that the number you called was an 0800 number?! It's astonishing that anyone would waste 30 mins of their time trying to fix something which is ultimately the retailers problem.

An unsolicited gift is when someone deliberately sends you something you have not asked for with the intention of subsequently asking for payment.

There is no way this can fall into this category.
  • adrian_clark
    Options
    Don't Feed The Trolls
    It depends on the world you want your children and children's children to inherit. We shape the culture we live in. If our culture is generally duplicitous it's our responsibility. You can't change the world but one person can make a difference. You can be an encouragement for the people you speak to on the phone, for the people you return the bottle to, for the people on this site, for your husband and for the people he shares the story with. Honesty and truthfulness is loving, you cann ot love with lies. I would commend to you that you could show love with the simple act of returning the bottles of wine, for no reward, and even some cost, because honesty is always the best policy.Happy 'Christ'mas.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    because honesty is always the best policy.

Hmm.

I told my boss the other day her new dress made her look really fat. Because it did.

You want to take a guess how that worked out for me?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure