Wrapping paper

I have had a idea about wrapping presents this year. I am going to wrap them in brown paper - the stuff you get in the post office!!

Might sound bit weird but saw it on about.com and it looks really good when you dress it up with lots of ribbons and pretty tags. I hate it when you get nice wrapping paper but don't have the tags to match but at least this way, you can use whatever colour you want. I also think if a gift is nicely wrapped then it makes the gift seem more expensive.

You can get a 5m x 750mm roll on ebay for £2.99! Sounds like a bargain to me!:j

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I usually do mine in brown paper & string & tags made from cut out card, it's the only time I can bear the cutout cardsas tags because they clash with everything else. Liek you, I am an@l abotu evreything havign to be co-ordinated & wrapped to perfection (no creases, symetrical folds & ends, cut not torn sellotape.....:rolleyes::o) I like the brown paper & string look as it's so traditional BUT in recent years it has been MUCH cheaper to buy printed paper than brown paper:rolleyes: Now I buy (yes I could make them I know:o) a couple of fabric gift bags every year which get used in my household & reused every year & I pop as many thigns as possible into gift bags which can get re-used a fair few times before they die. And I visit Homebase a lot...their brown paper bags split & turned inside out are fine for smaller pressies;):D
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • When I was little one Christmas my friend and I painted simple coloured stars on a roll of lining paper, all different colours and just those asterisk shaped stars, nothing fancy. Mum used it to wrap all her presents, and when my children were small, we did the same thing. Lining paper is cheap and you get a HUGE roll from places like B & Q etc.

I often go the brown paper and pretty tags route, or sometimes have used raffia to make a more rustic looking parcel. I enjoy the wrapping part of Christmas but I do have to start early otherwise I get totally overwhelmed.

HTH
    FF xx
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    I bought a roll off wrapping paper ,gold colour with red writing .It says "presents " i can use it any time off the year .
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I'm using brown paper this year, you can get a 10m roll from Ikea for about 70p, cant remember the exact price now.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • :hello:
    If you use brown paper you can be green too! Unlike traditional wrapping paper brown paper is recycle-able (:o sp?) I think alot of people don't realise that you can't recycle the shiny stuff because of the extra things like plastic that go into making the shine and colour on it.
    So well done all those that use brown paper - make sure you recycle:grin:
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've been doing it for years and think it looks much prettier than usual wrapping paper to be honest :)

Either use string or raffia from the garden center or £1 shops this looks REALLY good :) TO decorate use dried orange slices, dried apple rings, cinnamon sticks or some sprigs of evergreen and holly with berries :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Ooh! So many fab ideas folks!

Can't wait to but some presents now so I can start wrapping them!:j (can't believe I am saying this coz Haloween hasn't even been yet!!)

I got a assorted bundle of ribbons, all different colours and at least 1m long, from ebay for £1.20!

Also going to find out about the brown paper from Ikea, it is very cheap!

A good tip I found was to get some thin ribbon which has wire in it and wrap it around a pencil so it's all curly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure