What counts as child poverty in the UK? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• UnluckyT
    Options
    It quite suprising whats though as poverty in general withou child poverty. Especially when you ask such a range of people with the luxuries we have now.
    To be honest i would have thought if you cant afford the basics such as food, clothes and so on.
    It bugs me when you have people claiming to struggle when theyre smoking, drinking and not trying to budget properly and taking a good hard look at their situation and trying to get themselves sorted.
    If i had to go witout a tv i would and would do my damndest to sort myself out and try to teach my kids if and when i have them the value of money and having material possesions arent everything but would on the other hand try my best within my means and try to educate my kids if i can about it.
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    UnluckyT wrote: »
    It quite suprising whats though as poverty in general withou child poverty. Especially when you ask such a range of people with the luxuries we have now.
    To be honest i would have thought if you cant afford the basics such as food, clothes and so on.

The problem with how poverty is defined by (e.g.) the government is that it's defined as being below a certain average (60%, 50% etc. Even this poll is guilty of it - see options B and G.)

The problem, of course, being that because of how it's defined means that poverty will always be with us.

For example, lets say everyone earning below the median wage is in poverty, and that the [STRIKE]government[/STRIKE] other tax payers will give them sufficient income to be above that median.

Now, all of a sudden the median has been raised (while lowering the disposable income of those earning above the previous median,) and - guess what - there are still some people earning below the median. We still 'have poverty.' (And we'll have inflation to match of course.)

It's these moving definitions of poverty that does absolutely nothing to 'eradicating' it, and which is why such comparisons are so unhelpful.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It shocks me that many families living in poverty, do so because they can afford a lottery ticket..., cigarettes or beer.

Income is relative to outgoings;

someone who has the ability to supplement their diet by growing their own (space and time) doesn't need the income of one who does not.

a household with debt, be it a mortgage or other loan may be in poverty though its neighbour has the same income, but not be in poverty.

.., it's all about disposable income, and how one chooses to spend it.
  • hurricanewyn
    Options
    amberjet wrote: »
    J. A child sharing a room with someone of different gender; I think this is really age dependant, its illegal for over 10s but i doubt a small child cares.

Since when?
    Who polices/checks up on this??
    Sealed Pot Challenge - member 1109:j
  • treborc
    treborc Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    In Wales school trips tend not to be subsidised at all - due to extremely tight budgets and a noticeable funding gap http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8483030.stm

Where is this in Wales , my grandson was asked if he wanted to go to France last year, it cost £700 we were asked to pay the full price, and I'm disabled Paraplegic, then we were asked to send him to a camp in Scotland to get so called adventure training cost £1200, I explained if I cannot afford France then I cannot afford Scotland.

These are my grand kids we are brining up...
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    treborc - luxor4t said NOT susidised. So that means full price.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • Paul_Herring
    Options
    amberjet wrote:
    J. A child sharing a room with someone of different gender; I think this is really age dependant, its illegal for over 10s but i doubt a small child cares.
    Since when?
    Who polices/checks up on this??

I don't think it is illegal. I think it may be being confused with LHA allowances:

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/Calc.aspx
    Enter the number of Couples: *
    Adults aged 16 or over
    Number of single Males: *
    Number of single Females: *
    [B]Children between 10 and 15 years
    Male: * Female: *
    Children under 10 years
    Male: * Female: *[/B]

Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • happyrichard
    Options
    My wife and I were discussing this very topic a few days ago without knowing it is on here!

We've travelled a fair bit of the world and to be honest, the vast majority of people who say that they are living in poverty in this country would be seen to be incredibly lucky and wealthy in many parts of Africa, Asia and South America.

We must remember that as global citizens, we are incredibly fortunate in this country and poverty defined here is not the same as poverty somewhere else.
  • rpb
    rpb Posts: 130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's also interesting to compare "D. Parents can’t afford to save £10+ a month for rainy days/retirement" and "I. No TV".

Go without your X-Factor or Coronation Street fix (save £145.50 on a TV licence) and you can put over £12 into your rainy day fund right there! Very handy for family celebrations, extra food or clothes, etc. And you'll have an hour or two more free every day to try to raise your income or reduce your outgoings!

Forego your Sky subscription and you could be putting from £30 to £60 or more EVERY MONTH into that fund. Or you could pay for quite a nice little annual family holiday somewhere in the UK in a B&B. Or buy a lot of clothing, food, etc., pay your bills on time, get out of debt, etc.

You could go to the library, borrow some books for free, and get a real education for your kids (and learn something new yourself). You could sit and talk to each other as a family while folding your laundry, discuss your day, ask how the kids are doing at school and help with their homework, etc. But no, you have to have a TV and sit there in silence, eyes glazing over, submerged in reality TV drivel, because otherwise that would be poverty!.
  • fiendishly
    Options
    I don't think it is illegal. I think it may be being confused with LHA allowances:

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/Calc.aspx
    Enter the number of Couples: *
    Adults aged 16 or over
    Number of single Males: *
    Number of single Females: *
    [B]Children between 10 and 15 years
    Male: * Female: *
    Children under 10 years
    Male: * Female: *[/B]

Can you imagine:
    'Mr Smith, I am arresting you on suspicion of owning a two bedroom house and having a son and a daughter'
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport