🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Earn Money on 0871

Options
I want to earn money by having an 0871 number to my home phone. Does anyone know of a company that supplies these numbers for free, with no line rental or other charges and pays over 3p/min rebate?

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the Info. I have signed up with https://www.thenumbercompany.co.uk.

Their rebates are very good - in excess of the 3p/min I was looking for. The numbers are free to get, connect and use.

Just two problems I know about - you have to invoice them for the money and you have to earn at least £5 in any one month to get any payment.

It's a pity you cannot register with the TPS to say that you want to receive telephone marketing calls!
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's a pity you cannot register with the TPS to say that you want to receive telephone marketing calls!
    It wouldn't be worth 10p a minute to listen to some. Stay ex-directory; much quieter

Is this for revenge on telemarketers or business use? If latter, it's rather against the spirit of 'say no'

I'd go for 0871 number diverted to foreign mobile, if possible, as it would be actually cheaper from landlines
  • Paul_Varjak
    Options
    It is revenge on the telemarketers and the fact that I would like to earn some money!

I once knew how to make cheap calls to premium rate numbers on the Kingston Communications network but, like a fool, I told KC about the problem so they fixed it! I should have remained silent and got myself a premium rate number!

I do recall a guy on the TV who had premium rate (£1.50p/min) naughty s*x lines. He considered ringing all those lines using a telecoms provider who mischarged for premium rate numbers.

He could generate £1/min income for himself on each line. Given that there are 525,600 minutes in a year that is a potential income of £525,600 from one phone line!

As he had 10,000 phone lines, that is a potential £5,256,000,000 (5.256 Billion pounds) per year!
  • andy88_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    does he own a football club?
  • andy88_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to have cheap phone calls from an American company, via the credit card. They didn't surcharge any call rates, so I could ring mobiles for 4p a minute for example. Unsurprisingly, rather than review their tariffs, they withdrew from the market, just as I formulated plans to ring the new "Who wants to be a Millionaire" programme for 2p a minute evenings
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    andy88 wrote:
    I used to have cheap phone calls from an American company, via the credit card. They didn't surcharge any call rates, so I could ring mobiles for 4p a minute for example. Unsurprisingly, rather than review their tariffs, they withdrew from the market, just as I formulated plans to ring the new "Who wants to be a Millionaire" programme for 2p a minute evenings

The Telecom Plus phonecard also had some nice 'foibles'. I don't know if you could ring premium rate numbers cheaply, but you could phone ships at sea via INMARSAT for 5p/min instead of £5/min! They withdrew their card too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport