We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
christmas spiced marmelade
minimooch
Posts: 178 Forumite
Having had some success this year since my first foray into jams and preserves, i thought i would try to make some christmas marmelade. As I havent time or energy for too much faffing, I have a tin of MAMADE as my starting point.
I want to add christmas spices, cinnemon, mixed spice, that kind of thing, but I can only fine one recipe, and that uses whole cinneman sticks and cloves, which i'm, afraid comes under the faffiing header.
Anyone made anything like this before? how much and what ground spices should i use?
Many thanks
I want to add christmas spices, cinnemon, mixed spice, that kind of thing, but I can only fine one recipe, and that uses whole cinneman sticks and cloves, which i'm, afraid comes under the faffiing header.
Anyone made anything like this before? how much and what ground spices should i use?
Many thanks
0
Comments
-
-
The idea of using whole spices is to keep the marmalade clear. If you put ground spices in, it will be cloudy and speckled looking. How much you put into the standard recipe depends on how spicy you want it and what flavours you like. I love cinnamon so would use more cinnamon sticks and maybe less cloves, it's a matter of personal taste.If I'm over the hill, where was the top?0
-
The idea of using whole spices is to keep the marmalade clear. If you put ground spices in, it will be cloudy and speckled looking.
So the marmalade in a the above link is unlikely to look like its picure then
:rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:0 -
Thanks for that link Penny! :T Sounds great, going to give that a go soon!Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.
Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£1200 -
sounds like a nice twist on it.0
-
Thanks all.
normally the look is not too important, although I was thinking of giving a couple of jars as pressies. I might stick some ground cinnemon in too, because its my absolute favourite spice (buy it in huge tubs from costco). I was suprised you just stir it in at the end, but swartz ought to know if anyone does!
do you think I would get awqy with chucking in a few cinnemon sticks during the simmering boiling bit, and then fishing them out at the end? The recipe I found using whloe spices seemed to involve infusing honey with cinnemon and cloves which did seem too much like hard work.0 -
ooh fab idea. I have a lemon Mamade in the cupboard.... do you think the flavours would work with lemon?sealed pot challange #572!Garden fund - £0!!:D£0/£10k0
-
Lemon and ginger would be nice I think, you could add bits of crystalised ginger or just some ginger powder if you wanted to cut costs right down, or maybe put a little lime juice in for lemon and lime?Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4

NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:0 -
lemon and mixed spice might work. Lemon and ginger always seems to work together. didnt realise you could get lemon mamade. Have you used it successfully before? any tips?0
-
Penelope_Penguin wrote: »So the marmalade in a the above link is unlikely to look like its picure then

I would say quite possibly not. I've tried using ground spices and I could see the powdery colour in the marmalade. Mind you, I used 3 teaspoons -if you're gonna spice it, spice it good, I say!"
If I'm over the hill, where was the top?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards