Low Credit Limits

Options
How are credit limits decided by lenders?

Comments

• regularsaver1
    Options
    They also base credit limits on affordability

does your income allow for the increase?

are you at the top limit?
  • gazza975526570
    Options
    Do you actually NEED this credit?

You probably have a good chanve with Natwest if they provide your current account providing you have a decent record with them

Do you also have a regular income to repay?
  • lynxptc
    lynxptc Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a decent income, although I am self-employed, but in any case my payments have been made on time and in most cases in full each month so they can see I am managing the accounts well.

I ask mainly out of interest.
  • gazza975526570
    Options
    Yu say you applied for three when you were 18. If your still around that age now they would want to see you manage credit responsibly over a period of time. I doubt few 18 year olds get limits of £1000's
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    i started off with a barclay card credit limit of £250 when i was 18 they increased it to £500 after a yr, its taken me 4 yrs or more to get credit limits of £2k ?+

I dont mean to sound patronising but i know when i got my 1st CC and a few of my mates did to, u have a tendancey to go a bit crazy with it lol (im not saying this is the case with you) , i know i managed to reach my credit limit in about a week, so i think this is why they start it off low when ur new to credit, so u can afford to repay and know ur limits;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure