We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
AA would not recover my car!!
classic_nut
Posts: 3 Newbie
in Motoring
Hi, Is there anyone who can help me on this issue.
I am AA insured - fully comp with every conceiveable extra added also I have full AA recovery. I broke down on the M11 and the AA would not recover my car as they said it was fire damaged as in burnt out, this was not the case, the car is a Range Rover. I had two dogs and my disabled wife with me and they left us stranded for 7 hours until I could convince them that this car was not burnt out at all. When a patrolman eventually came out to look at it he said the ABS module had overheated but this was 12 hours after the initial breakdown. The insurance company actually told me I was to far away to be recovered! :rotfl:I need help on this one, as I am wondering what am I paying my insurance for. Andy:mad:
I am AA insured - fully comp with every conceiveable extra added also I have full AA recovery. I broke down on the M11 and the AA would not recover my car as they said it was fire damaged as in burnt out, this was not the case, the car is a Range Rover. I had two dogs and my disabled wife with me and they left us stranded for 7 hours until I could convince them that this car was not burnt out at all. When a patrolman eventually came out to look at it he said the ABS module had overheated but this was 12 hours after the initial breakdown. The insurance company actually told me I was to far away to be recovered! :rotfl:I need help on this one, as I am wondering what am I paying my insurance for. Andy:mad:
Has the AA ever messed you about? 20 votes
Yes
30%
6 votes
No
35%
7 votes
Never
35%
7 votes
0
Comments
-
Well insurance and breakdown cover are separate things, even if provided by the same business.
Your description of the incident is clearly unacceptable from the breakdown point of view and I would write to them to complain and see what the tone of their response was.
Why would they think the RR had been fire damaged? Do you have another vehicle that has suffered such a fate?0 -
All sounds very odd. How did the AA come to the conclusion it was burnt out without even seeing the vehicle? As far as I can see, their policy says they do not provide cover after an accident, but no other relevant exclusions are listed. The dogs could be an issue, but again, how would they know without attending first?
I would have thought that an explanation from the AA is in order at the very least, especially as you had a disabled person with you. As for the insurance company, they must clearly be on another planet!
I would start by writing to the AA complaints department. They must have a record of when your first call was made and when the vehicle was attended to, plus the findings of the patrolman.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
0 -
Complain to them in writing - including a picture of your car."You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0
-
Thankyou to your replies it just reinforces what I have done. I have logged the complaint with the AA and given them a detailed letter from start to finish. Today I have been told this is too much for the Customer services and they are passing it higher. They are dealing with the complaint as two issues one with the insurance and one with the recovery but are linking the two together.
The RR was either smoking or steaming when I pulled over to the side of the M11, my wife rang and told them that the car had caught fire, a wire underneath the wheel arch had burnt through, this was the only damage there was but with no tools and pitch black, I was in the lap of the AA. Andy:money:0 -
Their terms and conditions do say...
"No recovery (including a local tow) is available following an accident;"
However, this wasn't following an accident.
I think I would be switching to the RAC or some other alternative for next year. The RAC do recover after an accident but you, or your insurance company, have to foot the bill.0 -
classic_nut wrote: »Thankyou to your replies it just reinforces what I have done. I have logged the complaint with the AA and given them a detailed letter from start to finish. Today I have been told this is too much for the Customer services and they are passing it higher. They are dealing with the complaint as two issues one with the insurance and one with the recovery but are linking the two together.
The RR was either smoking or steaming when I pulled over to the side of the M11, my wife rang and told them that the car had caught fire, a wire underneath the wheel arch had burnt through, this was the only damage there was but with no tools and pitch black, I was in the lap of the AA. Andy:money:
Would have been helpful to put that in the original post.
About 30 years ago the RAC recovered my Triumph 1300 after the carb caught fire (My ex was driving. She lifted the bonnet and blew the fire out:rotfl:, foolish but probably saved the car.)0 -
The recovery services will seldom touch a burnt out car because of the cancer causing toxins that are left after the electronics have burned - Its not just a case of hooking up chains and pulling it on the back of a breakdown wagon. In the early 90's when I did a stint at a breakers yard the H&SE sent out literature about this.
The OPs wife told them the car was on fire so I can see what has happened.0 -
I hate poorly constructed polls.
What's the difference between "No" and "Never" in this one?0 -
Classic political move, split the opposition

3 vote no, 3 vote never, 4 vote yes and yes wins0 -
Would have been helpful to put that in the original post.
About 30 years ago the RAC recovered my Triumph 1300 after the carb caught fire (My ex was driving. She lifted the bonnet and blew the fire out:rotfl:, foolish but probably saved the car.)
I used to have one of these - my first car. :smileyhea0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards