MSE News: Diesel edging towards six-month high

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average cost of a litre is now 123.07p compared with the 2010 high of 123.08p in May, the AA says ..."

Comments

• 119.9p/litre in my local ASDAs. The price increases and differential from petrol, whilst unwelcome, is still not enough to make me regret changing from a 1.8 petrol (35mpg and £200+ VED) to a 1.4 diesel (54mpg and £30 VED).
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • jazzt1
    jazzt1 Posts: 34 Forumite
    "Northern Ireland and London remain the most expensive areas for petrol at 119.7p a litre."

I take it the researchers of the article ignored Scotland in their highest price region calculations? Up here in Orkney it's around 129.9p per litre for petrol, diesel is higher still.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In Shetland diesel is 134.9 (from the cheapest petrol station, some are more expensive).
  • Rossy.
    Rossy. Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Trow wrote: »
    In Shetland diesel is 134.9 (from the cheapest petrol station, some are more expensive).

WOW !

I still rememebr the days of 70p a litre. (only 28 :D)

Fuel is stupidly pricey these days. Why won't this governemt give up. I'm seriously thinking of going Bio-diesel. I'd rather the car smell like a chip shop than pay even more of my hard earned money into their fat hands. It's not as if i don't give them enough out of my poxy wages as it is
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2010 at 9:49PM
    My first Gallon was 37p 4.55 litres so 8.13p a litre. in an old Austin Cambridge.

Filled the tank for £5.50 Mind you only earned £14. Diesel was half the price of petrol then to!:(
  • Rossy.
    Rossy. Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    My first Gallon was 37p 4.55 litres so 8.13p a litre. in an old Austin Cambridge.

Filled the tank for £5.50 Mind you only earned £14. Diesel was half the price of petrol then to!:(

I didn't wanna say this but your showing your age esmerobbo :D
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • When I first passed my test it was £1.70 a gallon, filled my old Nova for less than £20. It's now 5p a litre more for diesel around here, but still worth it as I get around 55-60mpg.
    :A
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's limited refinery capacity to refine diesel and only 20ish% of a barrel of oil will produce diesel compared to 45% of petrol. Factor in higher demand for heating oil for fuel and prices at the start of winter will rise.
    The man without a signature.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Rossy. wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking of going Bio-diesel.

I bought a trailer from a boke this year and he had just given up using veggie oil. His back garden looked like the back of a restaraunt and he said is was just far too much hassle.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Not diesel (horrid smelly stuff :rotfl:) but filled my tank this morning - £77 thank you :eek: :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure