home phone & broadband - best deals? quick help appreciated!!

Options
hi all,

i hope this post is going in the right section, if not i apologise. i normally read these forums often but havnt posted til now.

basically, im moving so am looking for any help and advice on which company to sign up with for my home phone line and broadband internet. i have always been with cable but unfortunately it isnt available where im moving so iv not been in this position before!

my phone line doesnt have to have a talk package as our home phone isnt used too often so im looking for the cheapest option there, and as for the broadband im not a heavy downloader so was hoping for a cheap option on that too. combining the two with one company would be ideal but not essential.

i know this site is full of really helpful people so i really hope i can get everyones advice here... and soon as possible as im moving in a weeks time so have left it a little late!! thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Welcome to the MSE forums gavinh.

The best place to start would be to read Martin's regularly-updated articles on each.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities

If, after doing so, you are considering the well-publicised Talk Talk offering, you'd be wise also to read the posts made by customers in the dedicated 'Talk Talk poll' thread.

Martin's comments this week as a result of the poll and the various posts in that thread were:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TalkTalk Customer Poll Result: Not good but better than expected[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

In last week's e-mail I asked those who'd switched to
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TalkTalk's*[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] home phone and 'free' broadband package for feedback to see whether the huge publicity about abysmal service stacks up. The results show a substantial number have had major problems and delays, yet they're still in the minority. Most have either been problem-free or had some initial delays, but are problem-free now. Overall my summary is that if you want a guaranteed hassle-free speedy broadband connection, don't use TalkTalk. Yet as it's hugely price competitive, if cost is your priority and you can cope with the risk of some delay - go for it.[/FONT]
    Having a BT landline (opting for BT Together Option 1 and paying by DD keeps the rental down to the minimum £11/month) means all options are open with regard to call and ASDL providers.

My own suggestions with regard to telephony are under the 'HERE' link in my signature below.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at the Primus package. They don't advertise it but it does exist (you have to phone to get information). Check out the broadband thread...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=141142&page=24
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Also take a look at https://www.resource-utilities.com. Just switched to them today, no call centres, personal service, 20% discount off BT line rental, reduced calls, plus you can use 1899 etc.

HTH
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Heinz
    Options
    Also take a look at www.resource-utilities.com. Just switched to them today, no call centres, personal service, 20% discount off BT line rental, reduced calls, plus you can use 1899 etc.
    Do you know, I have developed a strange fetish which makes me avoid firms when their website produces a blank page when you click on their T&Cs link!

Only BT are obliged to allow subscibers to use other call providers. Other line rental suppliers (either LLU or those re-selling BT wholesale) can, and do, bar access to other providers such as 1899 and 18185.

It's worrying too that their boast of a 13% saving on line rental is based upon a comparison with an alleged BT residential line rental price of £11.50/month. Even disregarding that error, their boast loses all credibility when Caller Display (free from BT) at £1.40/month is added. Their £9.99 price then becomes £11.39/month - £0.39 more than BT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    Do you know, I have developed a strange fetish which makes me avoid firms when their website produces a blank page when you click on their T&Cs link!

Only BT are obliged to allow subscibers to use other call providers. Other line rental suppliers (either LLU or those re-selling BT wholesale) can, and do, bar access to other providers such as 1899 and 18185.

It's worrying too that their boast of a 13% saving on line rental is based upon a comparison with an alleged BT residential line rental price of £11.50/month. Even disregarding that error, their boast loses all credibility when Caller Display (free from BT) at £1.40/month is added. Their £9.99 price then becomes £11.39/month - £0.39 more than BT.

Their website is not always up to date, you can call them free of charge on
    0800 6950000. I have been using them for my business line for a while, and switched because I am sick and tired of BT. You can speak to a UK based individual, one in my case who actually knows who I am!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • devizes18193
    devizes18193 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd also say primus i've been with then about 4 mths now with no major probs 0800 customer services I do not use their email as i have gmail so can not comment but have not had reason to regret going to them
  • movingforward2010
    Options
    https://www.resource-utilities.com - lol i like those ducks:rotfl:
  • Heinz
    Options
    Their website is not always up to date, you can call them free of charge on
    0800 6950000. I have been using them for my business line for a while, and switched because I am sick and tired of BT. You can speak to a UK based individual, one in my case who actually knows who I am!
    Nevertheless, the cynic in me recalls THIS example of another line rental provider's methods!

And wonders ..........
  • gavinh_2
    gavinh_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    thanx for the info guys. any more info others can offer?

its looking like im gonna have to go to bt, and i know they arent the cheapest option!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    BT is your cheapest option for your phone line which is what Heinz is suggesting and then look for a broadband supplier. As you say you don't use the landline much there really is no point in looking for a package that may give you some free calls.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure