We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Murphys Law

Hammyman
Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
Well I had to do it, didn't I? I was waxing lyrical about the ownership of high mileage cars and how mine didn't have any problems.

Coming back home from watching the WRC Rally in Wales, it started running like a dog, chucking loads of black smoke out and running rough.

Just had it into the dealers as I couldn't see anything and got the phone call, being prepared for a set of injectors or turbo - both being silly money. Turns out its a cracked turbo pipe which I'm quite happy to let them do because its a pig of a job. The garage had a laugh at my expense when I said at least it wasn't the injectors at the thick end of a grand...

"No sir, its £40 for the part and £795 fitting". Cheeky gits :D

Comments

  • Lirin
    Lirin Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    lol- you've taken me down with you- mine just failed MOT on defective mounting bushes! Easily sorted though, and the first 'major' problem I've had with the car. :)
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Well I had to do it, didn't I? I was waxing lyrical about the ownership of high mileage cars and how mine didn't have any problems.

    Coming back home from watching the WRC Rally in Wales, it started running like a dog, chucking loads of black smoke out and running rough.

    Just had it into the dealers as I couldn't see anything and got the phone call, being prepared for a set of injectors or turbo - both being silly money. Turns out its a cracked turbo pipe which I'm quite happy to let them do because its a pig of a job. The garage had a laugh at my expense when I said at least it wasn't the injectors at the thick end of a grand...

    "No sir, its £40 for the part and £795 fitting". Cheeky gits :D

    Hman, you've just gone down:eek:in my estimation for taking your steed to a dealer, :o:(,so sad
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Hman, you've just gone down:eek:in my estimation for taking your steed to a dealer, :o:(,so sad

    Indeed and its compounded by having a top box and roll cabinet stuffed full of tools from my days as a mechanic.

    It really gets my goat having to pay someone to do a job I can do myself. I'm a model example of what happens when you lift stuff too heavy for you and am paying the price for my invulnerability in my younger years.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Indeed and its compounded by having a top box and roll cabinet stuffed full of tools from my days as a mechanic.

    It really gets my goat having to pay someone to do a job I can do myself. I'm a model example of what happens when you lift stuff too heavy for you and am paying the price for my invulnerability in my younger years.


    You sound like me, !!!!!!ed back, failed surgery etc etc, still not taken a car to a garage for anything but paint and mot, but the days coming:(:(
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

    Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

    Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.