We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Wing mirror damage
MoneySavingUser
Posts: 1,667 Forumite
in Motoring
Was driving along a road with parked cars on my side. I moved out a bit to pass them - enough space for cars on the other side to come through too if they were careful.
But then suddenly I heard a bang! I looked at my wing mirror - the glass was gone, pulled over and got out of the car - noticed another car had stopped slightly further up - collected my casing and shattered piece of glass from the road.
His glass was cracked but nothing had come off and no other signs of damage.
Spoke to the other guy he said he would have to put it through the insurance as he didn't own the car. Excess is £200 and it seems a whole new wing mirror is on ebay for £50 for my car but only the glass needs changing and a little bit of touch up paint applied.
So better to just change it myself but seems like the other guy will go through the insurance - I have read as it is likely to be hard to prove who was in the wrong it will go 50/50? or will the fact that I moved out make it my fault? Another car was coming right behind him too and I had no contact with that car.
any suggestions?
But then suddenly I heard a bang! I looked at my wing mirror - the glass was gone, pulled over and got out of the car - noticed another car had stopped slightly further up - collected my casing and shattered piece of glass from the road.
His glass was cracked but nothing had come off and no other signs of damage.
Spoke to the other guy he said he would have to put it through the insurance as he didn't own the car. Excess is £200 and it seems a whole new wing mirror is on ebay for £50 for my car but only the glass needs changing and a little bit of touch up paint applied.
So better to just change it myself but seems like the other guy will go through the insurance - I have read as it is likely to be hard to prove who was in the wrong it will go 50/50? or will the fact that I moved out make it my fault? Another car was coming right behind him too and I had no contact with that car.
any suggestions?
0
Comments
-
probably cheaper to pay for the repair than try to go via insurance , after excess and porbable raised premium next year you are probably better offEx forum ambassador
Long term forum member0 -
Yeah, I'd agree. Only a wing mirror, easily sorted out.0
-
MoneySavingUser wrote: »I have read as it is likely to be hard to prove who was in the wrong it will go 50/50? or will the fact that I moved out make it my fault? Another car was coming right behind him too and I had no contact with that car.
any suggestions?
If the obstruction was on your side of the road, you should have allowed the oncoming driver through before proceeding, under normal circumstances.0 -
Oh and BTW, I bet it was a door mirror and not a wing mirror.;)0
-
If the obstruction was on your side of the road, you should have allowed the oncoming driver through before proceeding, under normal circumstances.
I agree with this. Your technically at fault, so you may find if he pushes hard enough the blame will be apportioned your end, but I guess the difficulty is him proving the cars were parked there at the time.0 -
I’d say if you were passing parked cars and he wasn’t it’s likely to go down as your fault, if you were both passing parked cars then it’s likely to go 50/50.
Either way, throw in excesses, NCB & loaded future premiums and it’s one that should be sorted out away from insurance companies if at all possible0 -
Oh and BTW, I bet it was a door mirror and not a wing mirror.;)

Only I was passing parked carsI’d say if you were passing parked cars and he wasn’t it’s likely to go down as your fault, if you were both passing parked cars then it’s likely to go 50/50.
Either way, throw in excesses, NCB & loaded future premiums and it’s one that should be sorted out away from insurance companies if at all possible
well just spoken to him and he has told the insurers - due to his leasing company saying he had to otherwise he would have probably just sorted it out without them - ahwell just have to wait and see what happens now0 -
you can get the glass only off of ebay
i will on a busy road and some !!!!!! rear ended me and took my wing mirror off and did a runner.
rear end is still bent in, as not paying to fix that ! but wing mirror glass (as teh casing was still OK - only cost me £7 off of ebay - just comes on a sticky backing, that you peel off and apply to the original plastic holder (once removing the old/cracked mirror
defo dont get insurance involved if you can avoid it - just pay for a new mirror assembly - and fitting if he's going to be arsey about it - stiill alot cheaper than excess and increased premium i bet !0 -
If you move out and hit a car coming the other way, I would expect it to go down 100% as your fault.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
