We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Looking for an economical used car

I would like to replace my car because my current one is fairly old and is starting to cost more to run, plus I would just like a newer car!

Does anybody have any suggestions for something costing up to £8000 and about the size of a Focus (maybe even a focus) that will get good MPG on mainly motorway driving? I don't want to buy new and would prefer something cheaper than £8000 but can't find much.

The Focus Econetic looks ideal but they aren't quite in my price range yet. The newer version with Stop Start seems to get even better MPG, particularly around town (as you would expect) but that is even further from my budget.

I know the published MPG figures aren't accurate but with my current car on mostly motorways I get something like the combined MPG figure they publish. Ideally I would like something with a published combined MPG of as close to 70 as possible.

So, any suggestions?
«1

Comments

  • Focus - the diesels are pretty economical, even the pre-Econetic ones. Reliable, nice to drive, practical etc.

    Seat Ibiza Ecomotive, you should get one for that money just about, up to 94 MPG quoted, not quite as big as a Focus though.

    Never driven one myself so you would need a test drive as I'm not sure what they drive like, not very nicely I wouldn't be too surprised but you never know!
    :A
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    davidjwest wrote: »
    Focus - the diesels are pretty economical, even the pre-Econetic ones. Reliable, nice to drive, practical etc.

    Not that reliable, put " EGR Valve Focus " in to Google...;)

    Common fault.
  • marc-h_2
    marc-h_2 Posts: 146
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    davidjwest wrote: »
    Focus - the diesels are pretty economical, even the pre-Econetic ones. Reliable, nice to drive, practical etc.

    Seat Ibiza Ecomotive, you should get one for that money just about, up to 94 MPG quoted, not quite as big as a Focus though.

    Never driven one myself so you would need a test drive as I'm not sure what they drive like, not very nicely I wouldn't be too surprised but you never know!

    Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at the Ibiza eco ones and they are just about starting to get in to my price range. I initially thought that would be the size I would have to go for to get high MPG, but the Focus compares well to most the eco ones similar in size to the Ibiza and that made me want something a little bigger. The trouble is it is only the newer ones, that I can't afford, that claim such high MPG. I think I will have to make a compromise or wait a while longer.
  • frothey
    frothey Posts: 119 Forumite
    2.0D4D Toyota Corolla - wont be the most exciting car on the planet, but will go on and on......

    Are you also sure diesel is actually more economical - sure the tax and mpg might be better, but if you can pick the petrols up cheaply enough they are probably a better bet. Reliability is arguably better on petrol cars than some of the modern diesels, just look at the DPF/EGR/Pump problems diesels get now.

    It's also better asking on forums what mileage people get in real world situations, rather than the VCA test that is done on the cars, as the tests have little to do with normal motoring.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    marc-h wrote: »
    I would like to replace my car because my current one is fairly old and is starting to cost more to run, plus I would just like a newer car!


    I find your honesty refreshing! :beer:


    The number of people (idiots?) who come here and start ranting out about buying a new car to "save money on fuel/tax" and totally deny the fact that they JUST want a shiney new car, it's just ridiculous lol
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • marc-h_2
    marc-h_2 Posts: 146
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    frothey wrote: »

    Are you also sure diesel is actually more economical - sure the tax and mpg might be better, but if you can pick the petrols up cheaply enough they are probably a better bet. Reliability is arguably better on petrol cars than some of the modern diesels, just look at the DPF/EGR/Pump problems diesels get now.


    I'd probably want to do a bit of working out once I picked a car but I do about 20,000 miles a year mostly on motorways, so I think as long as initial cost and running costs aren't lots more a diesel will be cheaper.
  • marc-h_2
    marc-h_2 Posts: 146
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I find your honesty refreshing! :beer:


    The number of people (idiots?) who come here and start ranting out about buying a new car to "save money on fuel/tax" and totally deny the fact that they JUST want a shiney new car, it's just ridiculous lol

    I've seen a number of threads like that and I anticipated the replies I would get if I didn't put it! I know keeping my current car would be cheapest but even a cheapskate like me wants a nice new(er) car once in a while. I do about 20,000 miles a year and reckon an economical newer car will about halve my ongoing motoring costs. I'll never recoup the initial outlay though.
  • frothey
    frothey Posts: 119 Forumite
    20k per year is definately diesel territory on mid sized cars.
  • have you consider lpg ? mine runs on it, is a bit of a heap, but it costs me about 8/9p a mile for a 1.4 its a hyundai and notoriously thirsty engine for its size, so if you get an engine with good mpg - you might get an even better return that that

    *note though that LPG is about 80% the efficiency of petrol - but less than half the price 59p.litre*
  • My dad has a 2004 Renault Megane 1.5 DCi - £30/year road tax, and he averages 65-75mpg on his daily commute on A-Roads. You will probably get a fairly new one with decent spec for £8000.

    However, cue replies about avoiding French Cars/Renaults due to dodgy electrics, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.