Real life MMD: Cat has licked our food, should we eat it?

Options

Comments

• Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    As someone whose cat has licked their face, albeit it is not encouraged, I really can't see the fuss about eating something it has licked.
  • mrsmaxwell
    Options
    Run a flame over the joint (kitchen or DIY blowtorch, garden weed burner) or use a large fork to hold it over a gas flame for a few seconds only - this will kill any viruses, bacteria or worm eggs that the cat may have transferred to the meat, making it safe to eat. This principle (flaming) is used in microbiology labs to sterilise equipment.
    Max Sawyer
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    My mum had a cat that hated me mainly because I used to get the dog to chase it. It was at deaths door once with cat flu and hadn't moved for days. It managed to muster the energy to climb a flight of stairs jump onto my bed where I was fast a sleep and sneeze in my face this massive amount of cat flu flem. I am still here to tell the tale and the cat survived as well :-)
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just eat it if you hadnt seen the cat licking it you would have been none the wiser
    assuming the cats not died then your cooking is fine ..

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • loobylou2
    Options
    Sorry, I know this is a serious subject for a lot of people but I am sitting here reading some of the responses to this query with my cat and laughing my head off!!!! The cat does not seem too impressed though!!!! Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far for brightening up my day.
    loobylou2.Proud to be dealing with my debts and aiming to sort out the mess in 2013!!!!:eek:
  • What did you tell him for?! If your cat's regularly wormed, cut a bit off and eat the rest. If not, cut a bit off and eat the rest anyway (and worm the cat)!
  • baldmosher
    Options
    I'm wondering what someone would do in your cat's shoes... as revenge, I assume... :D

It only takes 10 (ten) eColi bacteria to make a human seriously ill. But that's more than it'll take to make the cat ill... think about it...!

Your stomach is pretty efficient at killing bacteria - to a certain extent - but it's when bacteria enters your bloodstream through your mouth that it becomes a problem. Which is why people with poor dental hygiene have more illness and increased risk of heart disease. That's not relevant to this debate but it's something to think about. I'm off to clean my teeth.
  • Grandchildren4
    Options
    Get a life for goodness sake, it's only a cat! Trim sides and tuck in. You must be made of money if you would even think of throwing £20 worth of lamb in the bin. If it really is a problem, cut it up and feed all the local moggies, sure they would love it.
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    Options
    baldmosher wrote: »
    I'm wondering what someone would do in your cat's shoes... as revenge, I assume... :D

It only takes 10 (ten) eColi bacteria to make a human seriously ill. But that's more than it'll take to make the cat ill... think about it...!

Your stomach is pretty efficient at killing bacteria - to a certain extent - but it's when bacteria enters your bloodstream through your mouth that it becomes a problem. Which is why people with poor dental hygiene have more illness and increased risk of heart disease. That's not relevant to this debate but it's something to think about. I'm off to clean my teeth.

I think cats "bussiness" would contain many million e.coli bacteria as with most carnavors including us! There is one particular strain of e.coli that is really bad. Not sure it would make a cat sick though hence cats can eat raw meat without getting sick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escherichia_coli
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport