🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

HELP HELP BT CHARGING 124.99 to move house

Options
Bt are charging 124.99 to move our line to a new house because its a new build is this right can i get round it. The house has BT sockets all over the place so i dont understand
Hanging with the *****'s dont pay da bills
And being broke at 30 give this king da chills

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    This is the standard charge for a new build. In fact they may be moving your number but they aren't moving your line, this is the penalty that the first home owner has to pay for a new installation I'm afraid.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=211879
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That happened to me when we first moved in to our new house, so I had cable installed instead. Earlier this year I had a bt line put in and it only cost £79 and I had to have a contract for a year. I had expected it to cost the £129 ...
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry should have added in the above post - Cable didn't cost anything to have it installed.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    *kingpin* wrote:
    Bt are charging 124.99 to move our line to a new house because its a new build is this right can i get round it. The house has BT sockets all over the place so i dont understand

This is the connection fee, BT would have done all the groundworks and laid cable to your property already and fit a master socket , the builder would have put the other sockets inside the house.
  • telecomsavings
    Options
    You could try the following:

NTL: £74.99 for TV,Internet,phone (NTL cabled network only)
    Telewest: £25 for TV,Internet,phone (Telewest Cabled network only)
    Wight Cable: £25 for TV,internet,phone (Wight Cable network only)
    Bulldog comms: £99 for a new line (BT line)

Or from BT by installments at £27 per month totalling £137.99.
  • michica
    michica Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    im not sure if this is relevant but...

yes there is a connection fee to the new house so i dun fink theres another way round it...

as they did it to our new house last month, they only opened ONE socket (the main one?) and they wont open other BT sockets until we booked another appointment with their technician and get them to do it for us- Labour was like 90 pounds the first hour and 60 for next or some ridiculous amount...

and the end, we got the house 'connected' with bt, with only ONE socket opened, and had the rest of them opened by a local ex bt staff, which costed 30.

do verify with them if they will do all the sockets for u in the new house.

and hope it helpss...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family