PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is Renting Really Dead Money?

Options

Comments

• kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The problem is when retirement arrives and your income is less ,and your friends have paid off their 25yrs mortgage and you are still forking out for rent.Also nothing to leave to your kid's,unless you wish to adopt the philosophy of spending your children's inheritance
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • kenshaz
    Options
    That's one way of thinking about it. Another is that it was the single biggest redistribution of wealth toward the poor there has ever been, and that it set council tenants free from dependence on the state. Free to move elsewhere if they chose to; free to build up something to pass on to their children; free to build up something for their own retirement.

Of course, current thinking is more along the lines of "Keep them on benefits so they'll keep on voting for the party that pays the biggest, easiest benefits".
    That's democracy,we vote them in and they make the legislation ,if we are not happy then we vote them out good isn't
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • Sisyphus
    Sisyphus Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, what I was trying to say is that, on an estate where all or most houses are rented, you tend to find more problem families than on estates that are all private. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule.

:)

GG
    have to disagree, I can afford to rent in a nicer area than I could afford to buy in. In fact as a tenant I was able to move there quickly to benefit from a good school catchment area.
    Wait a minute, maybe it's me who's bringing down the neighbourhood. :D
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    kenshaz wrote:
    The problem is when retirement arrives and your income is less ,and your friends have paid off their 25yrs mortgage and you are still forking out for rent.Also nothing to leave to your kid's,unless you wish to adopt the philosophy of spending your children's inheritance

While it's true that many parents want to leave their children an inheritence, it doesn't follow that every child is due an inheritance. The phrase 'spending your children's inheritance' implies that it's their money, not yours, to spend! My parents live in tied accomodation, and when they retire will probably have to find rented or sheltered accomodation. So there probably will be very little in the way of an inheritence for myself and my sister. While I'd love to get a £20k deposit from them to buy my first home, it isn't going to happen, and I know that buying my first home will only happen if I work hard to make it happen. In a way, nothing has changed in that the property owning classes ensure that this wealth is passed through the generations; while RTB has democratised this a bit it's brought a raft of attendent problems with it.
    And anyway, who wants to leave their home to their children in the knowledge that 40% of it may well end up being lost to inheritence tax?:D
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • kenshaz
    Options
    They are excellent reasons,perhaps quality of life and your children's education is important ,plus and minus,depends what you want as an individual,chose
  • mi-key
    mi-key Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dont agree with the point that people renting can never save for a deposit - as rents are MUCH cheaper than mortgage payments in a lot of places, whats better :

1) Rent for a few years, putting aside a little each month until you can save enough for a deposit.

2) Hugely overstretch yourselves now on a 100% mortgage for an overpriced poky flat, then in two years when your 'introductory rate' runs out, end up with the payments going even higher, and find that you cant afford them, and your flat is worth no more than you paid for it.

You also have to bear in mind most rents only go up in line with inflation ( some dont go up at all if the market is saturated - ours didnt for a few years ). In a lot of jobs, you will be earning a lot more in 5 years time say, and thats when you can start seriously saving for deposits.

I've rented since I left home at 16, now I'm buying somewhere, and while renting saved over £20,000 in ONE YEAR which is paying for all the moving costs, 5% deposit, stamp duty and furniture etc....

Over the years I have paid a lot in rent, but whats the alternative ? live in a cardboard box for free ? I've never resented paying rent to live in a decent home in a nice area.

Theres no way I would have been able to get a mortgage with previous salaries I've had, or while I was at University for 4 years, or while I've been building up my business and had low income. Now I can, and can afford to do it comfortably without stretching - and because my rent has been low for the past few years as my wages grew, I have no debts.
  • kenshaz
    Options
    liz545 wrote:
    While it's true that many parents want to leave their children an inheritence, it doesn't follow that every child is due an inheritance. The phrase 'spending your children's inheritance' implies that it's their money, not yours, to spend! My parents live in tied accomodation, and when they retire will probably have to find rented or sheltered accomodation. So there probably will be very little in the way of an inheritence for myself and my sister. While I'd love to get a £20k deposit from them to buy my first home, it isn't going to happen, and I know that buying my first home will only happen if I work hard to make it happen. In a way, nothing has changed in that the property owning classes ensure that this wealth is passed through the generations; while RTB has democratised this a bit it's brought a raft of attendent problems with it.
    And anyway, who wants to leave their home to their children in the knowledge that 40% of it may well end up being lost to inheritence tax?:D
    Exactly ,it tastes sweeter when you have achieved it,I often think that about winning the lottery,I am happy with the world that I have created,perhaps unearned money is less satisfying.
  • linda.b_4
    linda.b_4 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A few people have mentioned the fact that when they've paid off the mortgage there will be money to leave to the kids. What if the government make us sell our property to pay for the care home fees we might need? Then the renters will be happy they paid less rent than mortgage but get free health care while homeowners have to sell up and use their equity!
  • CB1979_2
    CB1979_2 Posts: 1,335 Forumite
    Options
    linda.b wrote:
    A few people have mentioned the fact that when they've paid off the mortgage there will be money to leave to the kids. What if the government make us sell our property to pay for the care home fees we might need? Then the renters will be happy they paid less rent than mortgage but get free health care while homeowners have to sell up and use their equity!

too true!

but alas another IF, what IF the govt decide in fact to not provide housing unless you have been paying off a property of your own?

unlikely I know but still an "IF"
  • TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    I visit rented accommodation every day as part of my job. I'm aware that a small two bedroomed flat in a fairly ropey part of the city costs as much in rent as my mortgage does. I'm fortunate enough to live in a very nice part of the city, with superb schools and amenties, and have a nice four bed house with a large garden.

Of course the only reason I can say this is because I bought about nine years ago, when house prices were cheaper. But bloody hell, I'm glad I did!! I guess it will be a different story over the next nine years though, so renting might work out the best option. You never can tell.

The mortgage stretched us at the time we took it out. Now it's peanuts.

However, as a home owner I can be pretty sure that my family will always have a roof over their heads, whatever happens (almost!). That's worth a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure