0845 and 0870 numbers a good thing??

Options
I thought the title of the thread would interest you!

This morning i had an idea,i have read somewhere that anybody can register for one of the above numbers.

Why don't we all register for one,then when we fill in any application forms.credit cards utilities etc we put that number down....so it costs them to call us,and we take a cut.....can you imagine,sitting down to you evening meal,tha telephone rings and it's a credit card company selling payment protection (you know the scenario) ,you just tell them to hold,then sit down and eat your meal,when you have finished,speak to them!!! what do you think?

Or,what about the family and friends that take up your precious time.....4.5 per minute might put them off a bit!

#####PLEASE NOTE####

The above is a bit of tongue in cheek,so don't blame me...unless you make a load of money,then i will take the credit..thanks!
Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!

Comments

• andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can already give a mobile number to these outfits; it doesn't seem to put them off
  • Midas
    Midas Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes its true that mobile numbers don't seem to put them off at all, even though they must spend a small fortune ringing people on them.

Perhaps we could try setting up premium rate numbers (i.e. 0906 etc); I've heard that companies can set these up for free and take a cut of the revenue, so why not individuals as well????

I'd be more than happy to chat to the bank if it was earning me 50p a min... ;)
    Midas.
  • DonnyDave
    DonnyDave Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Options
    You would be better off getting a 070 personal number. These cost a wide range of prices, some up to 50p/min, I believe. They can be routed to mobile or landline.

I think this would make them sit up more. They presumably accept that the expense of mobile calls will appear on their bills, but to have more and more 084/087 (and even 070) calls to Joe Public may have more impact.
  • Jonni2bad
    Options
    carl310166 wrote:
    I thought the title of the thread would interest you!

This morning i had an idea,i have read somewhere that anybody can register for one of the above numbers.

Or,what about the family and friends that take up your precious time.....4.5 per minute might put them off a bit!

I did register with one - https://www.contactnumbers.com

Got my 0871 number within 48hrs and no questions asked!!

Remember that people can still ring you on your normal phone number, so there's no getting away from those relatives!! :)
  • carl310166
    Options
    Thanks.

I have had a look at the website,but i can't see any details on when they payout. Is there a say £25 threshhold,then they payout? Do you have any details?
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't hold out much hope of you making much from this. I read on another forum that 5 people had signed up for 0871 numbers and the sum of their earnings was about one stamp's worth
  • stuwilky
    Options
    A friend paid £9.99 for one a few years ago. No management charges and diverts automatically to an answerphone with a very long message.

He earns about a fiver a month from it!
  • Jonni2bad
    Options
    carl310166 wrote:
    Thanks.

I have had a look at the website,but i can't see any details on when they payout. Is there a say £25 threshhold,then they payout? Do you have any details?

I can't honestly remember what the payout rate is. My best recollection is that the sales guy told me they pay by cheque each month, although I'm not bothered, since my real concern was getting a number that companies would have to pay more to call me on. If it's £25, then I might well be waiting for some time, but when it does come I'll have a rather large smile on my face!!

You could send them a quick email to clarify...??
  • carl310166
    Options
    You are right,we are not going to make a fortune doing this,it's just to get companies to pay more.

I have just signed up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family