Getting a school place

Options
Just posting this in case anyone can help with info before I call the school tomororrow -

We are moving to a new area just before Xmas, school only has 1 yr 3 space (which is all we need) but has said we cannot apply for the place until 4 weeks before we move there, approx 4 weeks away, in that time that one precious space could be taken. Any ideas on how we can get around this .... we may have to consider commuting the 40 min each way trip for a few weeks ......

Any thoughts appreciated

H

Comments

• hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand. Are you nearly 4 weeks away and are worried that the space will be taken during that time? Or are you more than 4 weeks away so can't apply?

What would you do if the space was taken? Would it stop you from moving? 4 weeks before completion would still give you enough time to pull out if it were.
  • loveandlight
    loveandlight Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we may have to consider commuting the 40 min each way trip for a few weeks
    You may not have a choice. If its the school who control the admissions I would speak to them first. Just in case they say despite being willing to commute, you still won't be offered an available place until nearer the time.

I know when I moved to an area a couple of years ago where schools were very much in demand, the LEA controlled the school admissions, not the school. They wouldn't even consider an application until contracts had been exchanged first or a rental tenancy had actually started.
  • sheng719
    sheng719 Posts: 182 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everybody, I am actually in the same boat as chaliepud but maybe a little bit more worrying as they actually have a place in that particular school. We are actually moving in 3 weeks time and since last month, we have been desperately trying to apply for a place for my daughter but unfortunately, every single school within the catchment area are full.After speaking to the LEA person, my daughter might end up not going to school for a while. We will be appealing to the other school that we really wanted and had the first rejection letter but I just don't know how to start the letter of appeal to theschool. Would anyone out there be able to help me or at least give some advuce regarding this? Hope all goes well for you chaliepud...Good luck!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502:)

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...:T
  • alwaysskint96
    Options
    When I last moved I had one child in year 4 and another in year 1

My 9 year old was offered a place at the local school but there were no schools this side of town that would take the younger one

In the end the Ed Authority found her a place and provided a taxi for her to get there throughout the whole of infant school
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,002 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    the Local education authority has an obligation to find a school place for every child of compulsary school age. If the nearest school they find (as opposed to the you choosing one for her) is over 3 miles away (2 miles if aged under 8) the local authority is obliged to fund transport for the child.

Saying there might not be a school place is not acceptable. If there is n't one in the catchment area they have to find a place outside it. If the school is in a different education area they can still secure a place.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Sultana
    Sultana Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    sheng719 wrote:
    Hello everybody, I am actually in the same boat as chaliepud but maybe a little bit more worrying as they actually have a place in that particular school. We are actually moving in 3 weeks time and since last month, we have been desperately trying to apply for a place for my daughter but unfortunately, every single school within the catchment area are full.After speaking to the LEA person, my daughter might end up not going to school for a while. We will be appealing to the other school that we really wanted and had the first rejection letter but I just don't know how to start the letter of appeal to theschool. Would anyone out there be able to help me or at least give some advuce regarding this? Hope all goes well for you chaliepud...Good luck!!!

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/
  • ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    Depending on how desperate the situation was and if I worked or not I might consider making the move ahead of time into something rented. You could then start your daughter at the school immediately but it might all go a bit wrong if the move didn't go ahead.

Alternatively see if you can get an early exchange with a long completion date - this might provide adequate proof to the school that you are going to take up the place!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure