Cost of Christmas

Options
124»

Comments

• RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    My wife and i reckon on about £50- £100 for our little one. As he'll only be 4 months this xmas, we'll buy him educational stuff, toy's etc (E-Bay of course), but as he gets older we want to buy him stuff he wants (to make him happy) whilst trying to get him to understand the value of the money spent on them. We really don't want to spoil him which is gonna get harder and harder as he gets older because some of his mates will all the have the best of this and that and of course, he will want the same. A friend of mine bought in excess of 50 presents for his 3 yr old last year and was really proud of it. Good on him but this year the kid'll want 60. NOT very money saving!!!

******** DEBT FREE OCT '06 ****** WOO HOO!!!!!
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• aurorahelios
    Options
    I budget for between £50 - £100 for my wee one. She is only 3 though so so I expect to raise the budget as she gets older. She will be getting one main present and quite a few small items. For her a lot of the excitement is in the opening of the presents, not what is in them. I've asked her what she wants Santa to bring her (if shes a good girl) and she says a toothbrush. Long may she be so easily pleased!
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    *Louise* wrote:
    Overall, the majority seem to be spending a sensible amount and keeping to what they can afford (not surprising - we are on MSE lol):T

It's just you hear a lot of stories about children having up to a couple of thousand spent on them - I always wonder what they get the following year isf they already have so much...:confused:

This is the problem we have with my step-son, gets what he wants when he wants it jan,feb,march whenever, and doesnt matter how much!! This is really hard to explain to our 4 kids as they want to know why he get things they would get for a very specail birthday treat eg newest ps2 game £40 on a weekly trip to town!!

But as my kids are getting older they are seeing how much we struggle to come up with xmas pressie ideas for step-son and really do look forward to xmas, something my step-son doesnt, my kids look forward to us dressing up on xmas eve singing xmas songs at the top of our voices and still belive in santa!! Even the 11 year old.!!( i know this year will probably be his last when he does!!)

Kids enjoy small amounts spend on them, if they are not spoilt throughout the year. £10 or £100 mine would be happy.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Just voted in the poll before reading it properly!!!! Ive put £500+ but thats what i spend in total, not just 1 child!!!! I do spend a lot on both my children (not sure how much, it changes each year, depending on what they want) but apart from birthdays, and maybe a gift at easter, i dont buy them anything during the year. This year they both want Nintendo DS's, so will be a more expensive one this year!!!!
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    very good thread louise :T i have no children but when i was a wee one i got what my mum (and father) in the first years could afford :) and i must say my toys were treasured (not saying those that have loads arnt) i only asked once for a big item and thats my sitting disney tigger (last year)... but all these people that get into debt for xmas... why :confused:
  • ashli_2
    ashli_2 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the £50-£100 range but only just...we had a limit of £50 for presents for ds (two) plus stocking fillers so the total is £60 max.

I have got a lot for my money though, I have bought 2 things second hand on ebay.....we take everything out of the boxes before we wrap them anyway so it won't make any difference! :rotfl: As he is only two he has no concept yet of 'newness', I know I might not get away with this when he is older though! The new things I have bought have been in sales or bought for less on-line.

I think it would be madness to spend much more on him at this age, he has aunts, uncles, granparents and godparents who will be adding to the pile. He also got a mountain of presents on his birthday in September so he certainly doesn't want for anything.

For each other, OH and I have set a limit of £20 + stocking. Best of all we have funded everyone's presents by selling discarded toys and gadgets so in real terms, they haven't costus a penny :beer:
    Total Original Debt: £30404.24
    Current debt: £18586.16
    Total Paid: £11857.74 38.95% :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills