We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Reducing ££s broadband and phone?

Options
I confess to getting very confused when it comes to VOIP etc and I've never got around to using 1886 or whatever its called but thanks to Grabbit I've got hold of a Netgear TA612V and that's prompted me to seek advice on how I can save money.

At the moment I have blueyonder 4Mbit which I'm happy with but would be happier if it were faster and cheaper and two phone lines. Bills average around £70-75 a month for phone & broadband and the number of calls being made is falling so I don't think the Talk Unlimited £15 package is worthwhile any more.

Rumours are that blueyonder is preparing for another speed upgrade so I don't know if its worth holding on or changing to another provider the local exchange supports the following:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale SDSL
Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
Easynet LLU
Homechoice LLU
Telewest Cable

Be with 24Mbit seems attractive and it appears to cost less than blueyonder!?

Oh and I don't need TV! Rarely watch it so Freeview is enough.

The main problem with changing ISP is I'll have to have 2 BT lines installed.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone have any advice?
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    First of all I would try phoning Telewest/NTL and threaten to leave, by getting through to retentions and see what they will offer you.

:)
  • Mike_by_the_Sea
    Options
    The main problem with changing ISP is I'll have to have 2 BT lines installed.

Advice appreciated.

Why do you need two BT lines installed?

Also, is it possible to get 24MG yet?
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • Sui_Generis
    Sui_Generis Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Edinburghlass I'll try them tonight.

Mike
    I presently have two lines I'm sufficiently ignorant of VOIP to not know if one of their free numbers could substitute for one of my landlines.

And yes Be have been delivering a 24Mbit service for some time but in practical terms I don't think it gets much above 20Mbit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure