PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How long between searches and exchange/completion

Options
I knew I'd be back soon asking for your advice:D
Im hoping to buy a repo (earlier thread) and EA who is dealing with my sale and my purchasers sale has just rang me and said my searches should be back next week and the other houses searches the week after, so it looks like things are finally moving. Fingers crossed.
As this is the first time Ive sold, Im wondering how long will it be from the searches coming back to when contracts are exchanged and then completion.
What is the best and worse case scenario, time wise and dare I ask what could go wrong now apart from a buyer pulling out.
Only really asking as it everything goes wrong with the repo then I need to now how long we have before we are homeless!
Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• STAR_BUCK
    STAR_BUCK Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Good question Loujay!

I'm in the same boat, am waiting ( since beginning of last week) for the searches to get back. Until then am twiddling my thumbs waiting :confused:
  • loujay_2
    loujay_2 Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Star buck,
    Estate Agent told me 2 weeks for the searches to be done but I believe its different in every area.
  • lilyann1
    lilyann1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Our searches took 5 weeks,some take 3 some take 7.
    One those are back and the additional enquiries and mortage offers are all in place then exchange can happen. Then completion when you choose.
    We are told the average house sale/purchase takes around 8-10 weeks,from start to finish.
    You don't want to know about ours as we are one of the unlucky ones where it hasn't happened in 8 months and we do not know when it will.
  • mrsc_4
    mrsc_4 Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    You can tell from my signature how long ours hvae taken. Ours are all back but now addition enquiries are still outstanding. I think it depends on your LA and how fast everyone works
    House purchase completed 6th December whole process took 4 months.

Hang in there everyone it is worth it
  • loujay_2
    Options
    Wow, doesnt look promising then does it. My buyer phoned me tonight to ask how quickly or slowly I wanted her to get her solicitor to go but reading your replies, I dont think we really have a say in it do we.
  • Tassotti
    Tassotti Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    Options
    In your case, you need to take control. Phone the solicitors every day if necessary.

You can get a permission letter from your buyers to talk to their solicitor as well.

As you need to complete in 28 days, take control and make sure it happens

Tass
  • loujay_2
    Options
    Thanks, looks like Im going to have to now as our offers been accepted on the repo. So tomorrow, Im phoning EA and solicitors to get things going. Everything is against us but as this is the 6th house weve gone for and searches not back on ours yet and only 28 days to complete then 'what the hell!' You know I cant believe I feel this way as 6 months ago I would have crumbled under the stress LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport