Beware: Manual Refund "Error" when switching from Scottish Power

Options
Hopefully this will be of help to some people.

Recently switched energy companies to single cheaper provider (thank you Martin et al).
Both accounts in credit by a significant amount. Therefore refunds are due.

Gas company: no problem - refund made directly into account the direct debit comes out of -very happy with service.

Electricity: I assumed the same process would apply, as a direct debit comes out of my account in the same way. However, after said switch, Scottish Power merely send a statement confirming credit amount in my account but reading it carefully there is no mention of a refund. I call the number and eventually get through to someone who tells me "Oh I'm not sure how that has happened but you've been marked down for a 'Manual refund' I'll change that and get a cheque sent out to you".
A few weeks later a cheque arrives. Effectively they've hung on to my money for another 6 weeks or so and this would presumably have been indefinite had I not spotted it. Verdict: very unhappy with service.

Therefore I would recommend that once the switch is made checking with this company - Scottish Power- in particular, that you have not been marked down for a "Manual refund" in "error".

The fact they can get away with sending a cheque rather than merely directly refunding you into your account, as the gas company did, just shows they are determined to hang on to your money for as long as possible!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure