Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    5 aquariums? Yikes- who looks after your fishies when you go away?
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fish don't need much food and are OK for a couple of weeks. However, we have someone around to feed the cats and I leave a couple of small plastic bags of food on top of each tank so they don't go totally hungry.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    as we have 50+ candle bulbs
    Chandelier in every room?

Never had a single LED fail (and that includes 8 GU10s in bathroom over 4 years ago). Only had one CFL fail since moving house five years ago but some are getting a bit faint now!

The "daylight" high colour temperature LEDs are brilliant for cooker hood and worktop lighting in the kitchen.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    I have 3x gu10s in the hall. They never last more than a year, sometimes last less than 6 months.

Maybe my house is haunted?
  • greenglide
    Options
    GU10 LED?

GU10 incandescent (Halogen) would be expected less than a year in a lot of cases. Once you are into replacing odd ones it becomes difficult keeping them all the same, or a least similar. The incandescents come in multiple beam widths as well as two or three powers, the same is true of LEDs but they ought to last way way longer.

We have the "Megaman" GU10 3 watt fitted in our bathroom fitted by builder when building it.
  • greenglide
    Options
    @atush

You can't find frosted LED candle lamps? Look here http://www.megamanuk.com/products/led-lamps/decorative/candle/

B&Q sell a wide range but probably not the cheapest, even on an "old people's Wednesday".
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    In very simple terms the answer is no - I will not be able to do as good a job and visibility amongst my colleagues will be an issue. But I will manage that with a reduced range of responsibilities. In addition, my boss rather astutely asked if this was my run down to retirement.

My intention is that this arrangement will be for two years after which we will reassess. In the meantime if they decide to lay me off then no problem but it will cost them around a years salary so no incentive for them to let me go.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    5 aquariums? Yikes- who looks after your fishies when you go away?

Good God, I found one a chore! :rotfl:
  • greenglide
    Options
    My intention is that this arrangement will be for two years after which we will reassess. In the meantime if they decide to lay me off then no problem but it will cost them around a years salary so no incentive for them to let me go.
    Would that be a years salary at the part time rate or taking into account just the short period of part time?

My employer is paying me what is a year's salary to "go away" even though I am just over State Pension age and the normal retiring age of the pension scheme as well.

I suspect the sums of money are a lot less though!
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good God, I found one a chore! :rotfl:

About an hour a week is ideal but 30 mins down to zero is fine for a few weeks.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback