Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    if you think that's financially irresponsible then my second piece of advice is stay away from cars 'cos you're way out of your comfort zone! On all the evidence that will appreciate hugely in a decade or two. Are you familiar with the price of Rowan's F1?
    http://jalopnik.com/rowan-atkinson-selling-his-gorgeous-mclaren-f1-for-near-1681341575

Yes I saw that - although I suspect there's a big difference between a limited run model (according to Wikipedia there were only 106 McLaren F1's ever made) and the mass market stuff we have today. Cars are probably one of my main weaknesses and I've been looking at the depreciation on something like a used Audi R8 V10 plus which retailed at around €180 (once options were added) and now two year old versions with very few km are already under 100k.

......anyway don't let me get distracted ;-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Marine_Life

Patrick Pichette, CFO of Google (ret) has something to say to you ;)
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    ermine wrote: »
    @Marine_Life

Patrick Pichette, CFO of Google (ret) has something to say to you ;)

It popped up on my linkedin page this week and of course the parallels (other than the vast amounts of money) he has are there.

We are getting closer (bit like watching a kettle...)...

My wifes ailing mother passed away and we are now preparing our house to put on the market. Once its gone, we go.

back soon
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So one of the things I am considering is asking for extended leave in return for less pay. My current annual entitlement is 30 days and I would ask for 90 days which would then give me the chance for one six week long vacation per year and six blocks of two weeks. I've calculated that this would reduce my working hours (and salary) by 27% which TBH feels like a decent trade-off.

There is a precedent for this in the organization although people generally drop one day a week. This seems like a generally bad solution to me as on your 'day-off' you end up being contacted by people who will simply say "I know its your day off but...." or "sorry to disturb you....".

Many years ago my wife swapped to working two-and-a-half days a week. Instead of working fifty hours and being paid for forty, she found herself working forty and being paid for twenty.

She is also no fan of the two week holiday: she thinks three weeks far, far better. She's persuaded me.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Audi R8 V10 plus

It's hard to get excited by these dynosaur-fueled contraptions in a world that now has the Tesla P85D and the BMW i8.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • TheTracker
    TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I enjoyed this weeks announcement by Google's 52yo CFO that he's realised life is to be lived so jacked in the job.
  • tigerspill
    tigerspill Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    It's hard to get excited by these dynosaur-fueled contraptions in a world that now has the Tesla P85D and the BMW i8.

I assume you haven't been in something like an R8?
    If you had been, you might just have a view different view.
    These new breeds have a long way to go before they can really compete.
  • Marine_life
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »

Both those cars are excellent examples of a new direction - but owning a car for me is not at all about efficiency or technology - its about sound, smell and feel and for me at least those 'technological marvels' miss out on at least two of those criteria. However, there's no right or wrong here.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TheTracker wrote: »
    I enjoyed this weeks announcement by Google's 52yo CFO that he's realised life is to be lived so jacked in the job.

you're 2 days late, see post #1737.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The funny thing is, most of these CFOs and CEOs could probably have retired anything from 5-10 years previously on a very nice standard of living compared to the 'average' person.

Example: BT CEO is 48 years old and has around 2m shares worth £10m and a further 3m share options (incentive/performance based) worth circa £13.5m. God know what his net worth is apart from that.

His share options alone would fund a very comfortable retirement for 23 couples like my wife and I :)

Looked at another way, 4% drawdown on £23.5m = would give an annual income of £940k, it's another world
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback