Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    :T love that - will use it if I may :T

Of course :-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • enator
    enator Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2014 at 5:44PM
    Options
    I am hopefully now getting close to retirement at 55 & whilst researching I came across this document from the Rowntree Foundation;

http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jrf/pensioner-income-standards-full.pdf

I must say it is a slightly depressing read :( (especially the bit about failing health) but it puts into perspective how things may degenerate & you should really retire early if you are in the position to do so.

Scariest paragraph:

Studies have also shown that quality of life and subjective well-being decline in later life. One study (Zaninotto [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]et al.[/FONT][/FONT], 2009), found that quality of life (measured by ability to do certain activities, depression, being in the poorest income quintile, size of social networks and receiving positive support from others) deteriorates after the age of 70 regardless of income or wealth

Keep the Dignitas number on quick dial... :)
  • diablo676
    diablo676 Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2014 at 6:50PM
    Options
    I retired early at the age of 54 and had my works pension actuarially reduced. It was partly to be able to look after my aged and frail parents but mainly because I could no longer stand the pressure of my job.

I became ill shortly after I left work, had a major operation and am now on drugs until I die. I wasn't expecting that ! The drugs make me feel lethargic all the time and my plans for an active retirement have gone nowhere.

As I own my house and have no dependants my pension, which is now approx £18,500 pa with RPI increases, is more than ample for my humble needs. :)

It was a big cut in my income - but I was saving most of it anyway. I was in a fortunate position really.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    enator wrote: »

Scariest paragraph:

One study (Zaninotto [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]et al.[/FONT][/FONT], 2009), found that quality of life (measured by ... being in the poorest income quintile ...) deteriorates after the age of 70 regardless of income or wealth

What a jolly clever study that must have been.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    You really could not make this up.

Three days (thats three days) before my 50th birthday my company announces that they will no longer allow pension right to fully vest at age 50 and have now increased the qualifying limit to 20 years in the role. I am 13 years in the role.

Whats the impact?

Well it puts a big hole in my potential retirement pension, something of the order of €10,000 per year in net cash terms (i.e. after tax). That's a fairly big hole.

Of course I should have known this was coming - its a very generous pension scheme and non-contributory so it really is free money. If I want to put myself back in exatly the same position cash wise I would probably need to work for an additional year.

Anyway that's not going to detract from the eight week holiday coming up - I suspect it will not change our plans at all - but of course it does not make things any easier.

Damn :(

Edit: PS: aplogies for typo in the heading - I can't edit that!
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Marine life - so sorry to hear this! I sort of lurk on the thread - I'm so far behind you lot with the finances, it feels a bit pointless, but had to delurk and commiserate. Can you appeal your situation?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You really could not make this up.

Three days (thats three days) before my 50th birthday my company announces that they will no longer allow pension right to fully vest at age 50 and have now increased the qualifying limit to 20 years in the role. I am 13 years in the role.

Whats the impact?

Well it puts a big hole in my potential retirement pension, something of the order of €10,000 per year in net cash terms (i.e. after tax). That's a fairly big hole.

Of course I should have known this was coming - its a very generous pension scheme and non-contributory so it really is free money. If I want to put myself back in exatly the same position cash wise I would probably need to work for an additional year.

Anyway that's not going to detract from the eight week holiday coming up - I suspect it will not change our plans at all - but of course it does not make things any easier.

Damn :(

Edit: PS: aplogies for typo in the heading - I can't edit that!

!!!!ing !!!!!!!! (I know that will be !!!'d out but needed to write it anyway ;)).

You are very fortunate that you can afford to absorb the loss and retire anyway. If you had been going exactly on your birthday would you have been ok?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Marine life - so sorry to hear this! I sort of lurk on the thread - I'm so far behind you lot with the finances, it feels a bit pointless, but had to delurk and commiserate. Can you appeal your situation?

Agree with that -e ven though I'm way above average on the pesnion pot, still find myself feeling waaay behind the good folk on here.

Really sorry to hear that ML, it does seem rather harsh to put it mildly that they can change the qualifying years so close to your intended retirement. For another person, it might have meant a complete about turn in their future plans if they hadn't been so well prepared as you.

As karmacat says, can you appeal?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options

Just coincidence or are they after you individually?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had that same feeling- they know you are retiring soon, and you didn't fill out your assessment lol!

Can they can something on the day like that, or dont they have to honor the old terms for those like you who already put in for retirement? Worth looking into the law here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback