Help needed quickly - friends ex £7k outstanding, using her address

Options
Hi Folks

Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum.

Friend of mine had her boyfriend move in earlier this year, then he moved out as the relationship stumbled.

She thought the worlld of him, but not neccessarilt reciprocated.

However, she's just received a letter at her house, addressed to him from Meritforce.

Don't get embroiled about why she opened it please !!

Her worry is that they're threatening to visit to collect £7.5k he's ran up on his Barclaycard, that he's used with her address.

There is a paragraph that says if you're not the named person above, please contact xxxxxxxxxxx to stop any further communication.

I've already said to her she needs to contact Meritforce and explain the situation.

What else can she do ?

Will this be enough ?

Many thanks in advance
Baby-Mechanic

The only reason I keep smiling is so that people wonder what I've been up to !!

Comments

• stephane_2
    stephane_2 Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Options
    Tell you friend to write to them with the letter she received letting them know that the person no longer live at the address....and also never to acknowledge that he was her boyfriend or they will be pestering her for an address or a telephone number. Might also be a good idea for her to make him aware of the situation if she can....
  • Fiddlestick
    Fiddlestick Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    Options
    Her worry is that they're threatening to visit to collect £7.5k he's ran up on his Barclaycard, that he's used with her address.

They can visit all they want, but they cannot do anything nor can they take away her property.

Debt belongs to individuals, not addresses.
    There is a paragraph that says if you're not the named person above, please contact xxxxxxxxxxx to stop any further communication.

I've already said to her she needs to contact Meritforce and explain the situation.

That's exactly what she should do, good advice.
    What else can she do ?

If she gets any more letters, she can mark them "Not known at this address" and pop them back into a post box.
    Will this be enough ?

She may have to be persistent enough for the company to get the message that he isn't there, but letting them know that is a good start.
  • tinkertaylor05
    Options
    Definately get her to contact them advising this person is not at the address or any connection to her. I have gone through this rubbish with dd's father and I did the initial contact to let all the different people sending letters know he wasn't at the address etc then just started to RTS all following letters with 'not know at this address' ...... almost 2 years later am still doing it sadly.

I also checked my credit file (we had joint finances so slightly different) and disassociated him ... that bit felt rather good :D
    * SPC Member #1094 * VSPC Member #33 £35.08*
    CC Challenge Member #31 £000/£500 spent
    Quit Smoking after 5 failed attempts - July 2010 :A
    Personal test of willpower for 2011 .......
    '"I will not spend my Clubcard or Nectar Points"
  • jonnyd281
    Options
    Why not give them a forwarding address when you tell them he doesn't live with you any more. Then they can recover their money and the rest of us (who do pay our bills) are not stung.
  • tinkertaylor05
    Options
    jonnyd281 wrote: »
    Why not give them a forwarding address when you tell them he doesn't live with you any more. Then they can recover their money and the rest of us (who do pay our bills) are not stung.

Yes if you have one do give it to them, alternatively I started to RTS the letters with his mobile number on them.
    * SPC Member #1094 * VSPC Member #33 £35.08*
    CC Challenge Member #31 £000/£500 spent
    Quit Smoking after 5 failed attempts - July 2010 :A
    Personal test of willpower for 2011 .......
    '"I will not spend my Clubcard or Nectar Points"
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    I would take great pleasure in giving them all his details.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stephane wrote: »
    Tell you friend to write to them with the letter she received letting them know that the person no longer live at the address....and also never to acknowledge that he was her boyfriend or they will be pestering her for an address or a telephone number. Might also be a good idea for her to make him aware of the situation if she can....

No need to acknowledge the relationship, but why not give them his contact details, more likely then that the OP's friend won't be bothered in the future.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure