We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Well I am a chicken!!!!

Options
Don't be angry at me I did not tell my parents about my debt at the weekend I realised that when I was there I could no face telling them.

Also while I was there I did a lot of thinking and need to sort myself out.

I love living on my own, but I have made a bad mistake, I have a new job which I start in November Its a job a really want but the basic is less then I am on now!!!!! but will get paid commission, but not for a while and the job is further away from my current job!!!!!

So I think I need to find a job near where I live and with more money, I cannot stay at my current job as it is making feel so down and with having money problems it is just to much to cope with.

I am very stressed at the moment and just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site, because you are the only people I am being honest to.

x
:heart2: 4 more years to being debt free :p
:A

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Awwww dont worry yourself too much about telling your parents.

Mine have no idea, and I have no plans to tell them. My theory is, its unnecessary stress for them and for me. Once you've got your head around figures and numbers its less daunting to face...

Could you not move closer to the new job? You have to consdier your own happiness in these decisions and if you really want the job, and think you're gonna be really good at it, then maybe all is not lost...

Good luck and keep smiling through
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • James240
    James240 Posts: 16,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    awww dont worry mate :grouphug: we wont be angry with u :)

is there a chance that u can get a part time job at the weekends until u have a decent amount of money coming in from ur new job? :)
    Savings Total so far for 2023: £8,062.58
  • penny698
    penny698 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replys, the new job starts at 9.00 in the morning and would have to set off at 7 in the morning to get the bus, and I would not get home till 6.30.

Its going to be a long week, I am so confused but am I being stupid with the debt I have got getting a job that is lower paid and more money to get to the job.??????????

x
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Options
    Aw don't worry. My parents have never known my financial circumstances and I wouldn't have it any other way. The most important person to be honest with is yourself- if you can face the whole truth and take the right steps to deal with it then you're doing fine.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Red_Fraggle_3
    Options
    If it's a job you want try it see how it goes - can you rent a room out - the job may the opening to a new time in your life don't close it so soon - good luck
  • penny698
    penny698 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    If it's a job you want try it see how it goes - can you rent a room out - the job may the opening to a new time in your life don't close it so soon - good luck

Thanks for your reply, you have a good point but I think that I am going to suffer with my money, unfortunately I have only a one bedroom flat!

I am so fed up of my current job, I was off sick on thursday and friday I have handed in my notice but found out that because I used my leave I will owe them 2 weeks wages which is terrible!!

X
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    If you are happy in your new job, your debts won't feel as heavy as they do now.
    If your salary is less, then try not to get any further into debt.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • lynsayjane
    lynsayjane Posts: 3,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    awww toots, big hugz

i have to disagree with the parents thing though, my mum didn't kow how much debt i was in and that i was struggling. there was no way she could help in anyway but to listen when things got hard, but it got a lot easier just talking to her. and now i can tell her all the ways i'm trying to get out of debt and all the fab bargains i get etc and get all the encouragment i miss from not having an oh to support me.

you say your struggling financially and emotionally because of your job, would it not make it easier to confess all, have that weight off your shoulders and a friend to help when times get tough?

x
  • Zippy2006
    Options
    Penny,

No need to tell your parents - Back in 2000 I was £33,000 in debt and had defaults and debt collection notices coming out of my ears. The result of years of financial mismanagement, a marriage break up, and a tendancy to stick my head in the sand and a job I hated (because it did not pay enough).

I came so close to packing a big rucsac and selling off my things and putting the keys through my houses door and leaving the mess behind. I was lucky to have good friends and folk who put me in the right direction for advice.

My light bulb moment came and i sorted myself out - I took advice and got to grips with all the problems. Diffulcult at first - I also learned to stand my ground with those who think they can bully and intimidate you.

I never ever told my parents and never have and never will.

6 years on I am now clear of defaults (bar 1 silly small one) , and clear of debts, I have sold that house I nearly gave up and made a big profit, which is allowing me (and my new wife) to move to a nice new house in February.

My biggets break came through getting a decent job that has enabled me to pay off the debt faster than I could have hoped for. I think dealing with the problems I changed my attitude to everything - very little in life is free - and what you earn must be used to YOUR advanatage.

Those darker days when I first hit my lightbuld moment don't seem that long ago - I will never forget them nor will I (hopefully) make the mistakes i made before. The fact I had to struggle to pay off debts and deal with bullying financial institutions has made me the wiser person I am today.

Just keep positive - this board I'm sure will be a great source of inspiration to you through the coming weeks and months. I hope I have provided you with some encouragment on your journey to better things.

Advice from all of us on this board is always free - as we all battle to beat the money makers who control (or try to control) our lives.
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Do you own your home or could you up sticks and rent closer to the new job?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport