Discuss the Lloyds Airmiles Duo credit cards

Options

Comments

• gayleanne
    Options
    They are not worth the paper they are printed on, have you tried booking a flight for the times and days you want paying money, then try booking exactly the same flight using air miles, it is very rare that the flight is not fully booked, even if you try booking a year ahead. You would be better off selling them on ebay, I did and I got a tidy sum for them.
  • OllyM
    OllyM Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You just need to do some research, I flew first class to the US this year using Avios and have two business class redemption tickets booked for next year without too much difficulty.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lmm23 wrote: »
    For the Lloyds card: London to Cape Town for 2 biz class would cost £200,000, whereas for the BA Amex card it's £100,000.
    Which cards? The flights cost Avios, so the number of Avios needed depends on the card. From memory, London-Cape Town in Club for two costs 200,000 Avios plus a pile of taxes, fees and surcharges, or 100,000 Avios plus the extras if you spend £10,000 in a year on the BA Premium Plus card (see below for comparison).

The fee-free Lloyds AmEx card earns 1 Avios per £. The fee-free BA AmEx earns 1 Avios per £. At this stage, earnings and redemptions are the same.

The fee-payable Lloyds AmEx eanrs 1.25 Avios per £ (I think). The fee-payable BA Premium Plus Amex earns 1.5 Avios per £ (3 Avios per £ direct with BA).

The fee-payable Lloyds Amex offers an economy 2-4-1 (2nd ticket 'free' if you pay taxes, fees and surcharges on both) once a year if you reach a spending threshold. It seems that this is less interesting for you if you are looking to redeem in business.

The fee-payable BA AmEx offers a 2-4-1 in any class once a year if you reach a spending threshold.

However, Club redemption tickets to Cape Town are rarer than hen's teeth. I have a couple but only by booking almost a year ahead and there would be no availability for months now.

Unless you are a frequent flyer or plan to be, I'd be looking at other cards.
  • lmm23
    lmm23 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Roger. I have a BA Amex, don't fly regularly (but did a round a the world a year ago) and don't plan to. I'm merely using the card for fuel/food purchases each month (so have no a hope in hell of spending £20k on it), and I'm also adding to these Tesco/avios points.

Are you suggesting, then, that these cards in their entirety are pointless for me? What would you suggest instead (bearing in mind I already have 45k avios)? I have the feeling that I've started with these avios, so I may as well keep them going.

Thanks a lot.
    Leon
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lmm23 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting, then, that these cards in their entirety are pointless for me? What would you suggest instead (bearing in mind I already have 45k avios)?
    Hi, Leon.

It's all very subjective. What suits each of us is likely to be different, so I'm reluctant to offer specific advice. I've been thinking about this too, for me - should I continue with my BAPP AmEx or not? (The answer is Yes, at least for the time being, as it works for me.) If I were starting afresh and wasn't a regular traveller, I think I'd be looking at cashback cards. These typically offer about 1% back on annual spend. I have an MBNA AmEx offering 1.5% off supermarket and petrol/diesel spend, but it's not available to new applicants. The amazon.co.uk card from MBNA looks interesting if you can use Amazon points.
    I have the feeling that I've started with these avios, so I may as well keep them going.
    Yes, they're addictive! You don't want to waste your Avios, so it could be worth getting one of these cards for the time in order to bolster your total. Have a guess as to how much you would put on the card before deciding to go with a fee payable card.

If you're a Tesco customer or could be, you could convert your Clubcard points to Avios. Each £2.50 in CC points converts to 600 Avios. They have regular promotions, so keep an eye open. For me, the best one at the moment is 150 CC points when you buy £50 in branded gift cards (EXCEPT Tesco gift cards). If you can use the cards, buying £100 in gift cards produces 300 CC points. Face value £3 (so 3% on these transactions), but can be converted to 720 Avios which are almost certainly worth more.

Good luck!
  • Wire
    Wire Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I was using the Lloyds Duo for several years but find that the Mastercard wasnt rewarding enough.

I tried Tesco mastercard since August

I find this card works out to be the equivalent 1% cashback.

This is how.

Spend £40 (for example)
    Earn 10 tesco points

When converting them to Avios £2.50 = 600 Avios
    That makes 10 Tesco points worth 24 Avios.

You need 9,000 Avios and £35 for a trip from the UK (even from the regions)to destinations in Europe such as Geneva.

These tickets would normally be priced at roughly £180-£190 (my own experience)

Hence £150/9000 leaves every Avios point worth 1.67p

1.67p * 24(the amount of points you got for the transaction)
    Hey presto, that's exactly 40p

You spent 40p on the Tesco Mastercard and you've made 1%
  • LloydsBankHell
    Options
    I feel scammed by Lloyds.

Here is what I did:

1. Took Duo - spent £500 in each of first three months
    2. Cleared balance on time, each month
    3. Connected card to Avios
    4. Cancelled Card after last bill was paid....

Avios WILL NOT credit the promotional 15,000 miles....

WHY?!

"because you closed your account"

Rating: Avoid.
    @ lloydsBankHell
  • thesaver79
    Options
    I feel scammed by Lloyds.

Here is what I did:

1. Took Duo - spent £500 in each of first three months
    2. Cleared balance on time, each month
    3. Connected card to Avios
    4. Cancelled Card after last bill was paid....

Avios WILL NOT credit the promotional 15,000 miles....

WHY?!

"because you closed your account"

I think this is exactly as per T&Cs. The Avios are credited 2 months after your 3rd statement (i.e. on your 5th statement). In order for that to happen, the account needs to be open.
  • thesaver79 wrote: »
    I think this is exactly as per T&Cs. The Avios are credited 2 months after your 3rd statement (i.e. on your 5th statement). In order for that to happen, the account needs to be open.

Lloyds Ts & Cs do not mention this, at least the promo i signed up for did not. And in that case, Lloyds have agreed to pay me the value of the Avios.

Reason for paying £250 is they have no way to transfer the avios to me - the avios are showing on their system, but i have no account (since i closed it).

Given i met all my obligations, and their Ts & Cs don't state an account must be open (only the balance must always be within limit)...................it's their "fault".

£250 to me. TYVM :T
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lloyds Ts & Cs do not mention this, at least the promo i signed up for did not. And in that case, Lloyds have agreed to pay me the value of the Avios.

Reason for paying £250 is they have no way to transfer the avios to me - the avios are showing on their system, but i have no account (since i closed it).

Given i met all my obligations, and their Ts & Cs don't state an account must be open (only the balance must always be within limit)...................it's their "fault".

£250 to me. TYVM :T
    Why did you close your account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family