£10,000 inheritance..

Options
Hi, i have £10,000 from inheritance and not sure how to make the most of it. i was thinking of investing/saving was expecting to put money into something for either 3 years plus. Any ideas welcome...

Comments

• blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    posts 1 ??? i hate this i hope you guys dont sign up for just the one question and then disappear

anyway what kind of returns do you wantr and wats your risk profile
    no risk = savers 3% return which is basically nothing
    more risk = stock markets
  • malik999
    malik999 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Options
    JJWWY wrote: »
    Hi, i have £10,000 from inheritance and not sure how to make the most of it. i was thinking of investing/saving was expecting to put money into something for either 3 years plus. Any ideas welcome...

Buy 10k worth of BP shares (currently £4.24)
  • blinko
    blinko Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    malik999 wrote: »
    i expect to them to rise a year today 4.60 min and probably a divi too
  • Cautious_Investor_3
    Options
    malik999 wrote: »

I'll try not to go off on one but I hate this sort of post. An IFA would be strung up for this sort of comment.

No account has been made for the OP's attitude to risk, past investing habits, need for an emergency fund, tax status, time frame, need for income or capital, need I go on?

To help the OP we need to get to the bottom of what he or she wants and then offer sensible, well thought out comment, which may involve buying BP shares. However, "buy BP" without any "fact finding" simply is not helpful.

Rant over :mad:.....breathe CP.

The Cautious Investor
  • JJWWY
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies...
    I have looked around and not impressed with the 3% on saving so looking for something more tempting. I have never invested before but thought i should put this money away for a while and see what happpens. I am tempted by stocks but would be cautious as i have no experience... Not sure what other information would be handy
  • Cautious_Investor_3
    Options
    JJWWY wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the replies...
    I have looked around and not impressed with the 3% on saving so looking for something more tempting. I have never invested before but thought i should put this money away for a while and see what happpens. I am tempted by stocks but would be cautious as i have no experience... Not sure what other information would be handy

Hi

If you have never invested before, and need a little more guidance, why not consult and IFA?

The Cautious Investor
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

If you have never invested before, and need a little more guidance, why not consult and IFA?

The Cautious Investor

Just make sure that you know EXACTLY what their charges will be before you commit to anything to avoid being stung like this person.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2826862
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure