🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Playing football in my garden: can I?

Options
2»

Comments

• smudger1964
    Options
    mr1974 wrote:
    Thanks.

I would say 38 square metres, size 5 football (60 cm circumference).
    Local council: Islington (London)
    I play alone. I do not make much noise, but I make some. Much less than all the screaming, car and air traffic , and construction noise that you can hear around our neighboorhood during the day anyway

I do almost doing kick ups or short runs.But I like the odd free kick, hitting the tree.
    I am not hitting their fence. I am hitting the wall at the end of my garden, and occasionally the tree also in my garden. I have never sent the ball across, but it could happen one day: what would the consequences be?

What time can I play?

There's an old lady sitting on a chair in a neighbouring garden; she is not in any danger of being hit. She just complains that I should not play...

Her daughter told me to go to the park in a very bad way. I told her to "get a life". She told me to "!!!! off" literally.

I am not sure I want to give up just to avoid problems ... In my garden! Perhaps too stressful like this though.

Just to clarify, I am 31 (not sure why that should change anything!).

thanks
    mr

Islington council havent any specific bylaws relating to football playing in back gardens just the nuisance law which can relate in this case.Providing you are not damaging the neighbours property or causing lack of sleep by playing at 2am you havent got any problems with breaking any bylaws(as far as I can ascertain).There isnt a time as such that you can play though personally I would say if you play in the hours of daylight and are not playing at unreasonable hours you would be fine.By unreasonable I would say as a rule not before 9am and not after 9pm. Have you checked the small print of your rental agreement to see if there is anything in there that could relate to causing a nuisance.If not then it seems to me your neighbour is being unreasonable and I would respectfully ignore them and continue to enjoy a kick about .
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    I cannot believe this person is telling you to stop playing football in your own back yard!!! Maybe you could tell her not to sit in her garden as its putting you off. What would she rather have. One person doing a few kickups or someone with music blaring out at all kinds of hours, drinking alcohol in the back yard. Maybe next time its worth asking why she has such a problem with it. But i'd definately stand your ground as you arent doing anything anti social
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • emmaBZ
    emmaBZ Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    you pay rent and pay for that garden to do as you please id tell them to get stuffed!!! as long as youre not damaging any of their property or doing it late at night. then they cant do nothing about it...if they called the police all they would say was its a civil matter not a police matter
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tell him where to stick the football?

jesus what an !!!

:confused:

Please do not use my Lords sons name in vain.
  • southernscouser
    Options
    Can I come round for a kick-about? :j :footie:
  • BigDunc
    BigDunc Posts: 328 Forumite
    Options
    What about hosting the inaugral 74-a-side MSE kickabout at Mr1974's flat?
    Fiscal drag, that's my problem. Too many people dragging on my fiscals.
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Options
    i once had my music playing at 4pm in the back yard with a few mates (it was my 18th) after an hr i had someone come into my back yard and tell me that she wants the music off or she will call the police. I said sorry and that i would turn it down. She then had a go at me for calling her names!!?! and that she was getting the police involved.

what i learnt from that is you cant keep everyone happy so be considerate but dont let it spoil your fun
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    keep playing football she's just a miserable old battleaxe who's run out of knitting.
  • Hizz
    Hizz Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    Options
    GrandmaKnitsB.jpg

"Who called me the battle axe? and who else threw insults? I'll drop one and stitch one!"
    One hundred years from now it won't matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little better because, I was important in the life of a child.
  • Gaz_2-2
    Gaz_2-2 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Just tell him where to go.....its your garden and if you wanna play football in it thats your business just make sure you dont hit it into his garden.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport