Unable to download Malwarebytes (my friend)

Hi

My friend is trying to download Malwarebytes but when she gets to the end of it, a box appears with the words:-

MBAM.EXE/UNABLE TO LOCATE COMPONENT
THIS APPLICATION HAS FAILED TO START BECAUSE MSVBVM60.DLL
WAS NOT FOUND. RE - INSTALLING THE APPLICATION MAY FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Can anyone help at all?
Thanks. Lynda

ps, she has tried installing it three times now and the same happens each time.

Comments

• First get the friend to go to control panel programs (add remove .... or features)
    depending on windows version and uninstall it. Then

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • And she may have to run the install as an administrator ---- press shift and right click on the icon.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • dipsy81
    dipsy81 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 31 October 2010 at 10:33PM
    It's done the same thing again. Just won't work, and her pc is running very slow.

Don't know what you mean, click on the icon!
    And she may have to run the install as an administrator ---- press shift and right click on the icon.
    Thanks.
  • dipsy81 wrote: »
    It's done the same thing again. Just won't work, and her pc is running very slow.

Don't know what you mean, click on the icon!
    And she may have to run the install as an administrator ---- press shift and right click on the icon.
    Thanks.

Hi sorry, wherever she downloaded Malwarebytes to (I assumed the Desktop) Instead double clicking on the downloaded file she should press the shift key and then right click on the file and then run as administrator.. PS whiche version of Windows has she got ?
  • Hi again I think she probably has windows XP, I just started my XP m/c and it has that file my Win7 doesn't, give me a second and I will have a look around
  • 🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • dipsy81
    First Post
    Thanks so much, i have just emailed your info to her. She isn't a member of the forum yet, i will help her get herself set up on it, but not now as i am up early for work in the morning and off to bed now.

I will still pass details onto her tomorrow after 1pm (if there are any hints and tips of course):)
  • dipsy81 wrote: »
    Thanks so much, i have just emailed your info to her. She isn't a member of the forum yet, i will help her get herself set up on it, but not now as i am up early for work in the morning and off to bed now.

I will still pass details onto her tomorrow after 1pm (if there are any hints and tips of course):)
    Night night
  • m00nie
    m00nie Posts: 2,314 Forumite
    from memory think theres an infection that stops malwarebytes running, if the missing file isnt the solution then could try reboot into safe mode, rename the mban.exe file and run it. update it and run a scan....

had to do this to freinds pc a while back when they got infected with the fake antivirus program..
  • dipsy81
    First Post
    Thanks M00nie

I have passed the information you posted onto her.

Lynda
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport