Loft Conversion Company in West Midlands?

Options
Hi, we've decided to have our loft converted and wonder if anyone has used a loft conversion company in the West Midlands which they can recommend? We want to make sure we use a reputable company as we have a really large loft and need to be sure they know what they're doing!

I've found three companies online Kings Heath Loft Conversions, Bespoke Loft Conversions and Touchstone Lofts. Does anyone know them? The first one looks more reputable as they have their address and landline phone number on their website. The other two don't show their postal address so I guess they don't have offices as such and also they don't have landline phone numbers which worries me a little.

I haven't managed to find many reviews online for any of them (the internet is not my strong point though!). I found a couple of positive ones for Touchstone Lofts but get the impression they were written by the same person as the spelling and grammar on both are quite poor. There are spelling mistakes on the Touchstone Lofts website too...

So should I only consider Kings Heath Loft Conversions? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Help!

Comments

• iamcornholio
    iamcornholio Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    Options
    Contact Solihull Council as they have a "shipshape" scheme for vetted traders, and Birmingham may have one too.

Other schemes such as Fair Trades or the TrustMark may help - have a google for info

Anyway, don't rely on online reviews as these are notoriously suspect and unreliable. And don't be persuaded by nice websites - builders are builders not marketing experts, and just like paint, gloss can hide many deficiencies

Loft companies charge a premium and any good builder will do a conversion just as well.
  • MrHelpful
    Options
    I know Touchstone Lofts are based in Knowle in Birmingham. They are a reputable company which were at Grand Designs Live at the NEC recently. The local number I found under their Birmingham address was 01564 783131. Hope that helps.
  • iwassomeoneelse
    Options
    I used Touchstone too. Got three quotes and they were the best combination of price and spec. We're pleased with the job they did - there were a couple of niggles but they got sorted out. There is one clearly dissatisfied customer who has put a number of reviews up, and I have put a couple up myself as I feel they were unfair...

Anyway, I suggest you give the three you've found a call and ask for a quote and the opportunity to see some completed work. I would recommend Paul, but you do have to decide for yourself.

Hope that helps...
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    The Birmingham council recommended traders which I forget the official name is a waste of time IMO as the ones I had visit for quotes did not impress me with their service. I should of complained about them.

But that is another story.

There is a loft conversion company near me but no one I can recommend.
  • Penny_Pin
    Penny_Pin Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 15 February 2011 at 3:53PM
    Options
    Just seen this post; [TEXT DELETED BY FORUMT TEAM] We're going to have a loft conversion but have decided the cheapest option is to use a builder rather than one of these loft conversion companies; think they mark the prices up too much.
  • Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would advise to get a quote from several companies. Also ask if you can view one of their loft conversions they have done in your area.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure