Any plumbers?

Options
I recently posted saying my shower was running cold,i was told it maybe the thermostatic cartridge.This was removed and the water was run but it was still only lukewarm without the cartridge in.There was hot water to every other outlet so i'm lost as to whats happening.Any help please.

Comments

• gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    How did you isolate the cold water to the shower unit to test just the hot water coming out of it?
  • ankspon
    ankspon Posts: 2,371 Forumite
    Options
    I turned the mains off
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Ok.

I can't remember your other post, so what type of hot water system do you have, ie combi or hot water cylinder?
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    davidhwdn wrote: »
    I turned the mains off
    In your other thread I asked:
    keystone wrote: »
    .........How are you feeding it?

If turning the mains off doesn't alter matters I have to ask the same question again. I suspect you may have a Cold Water Storage Tank in your roofspace which is supplying the cold and therefore turning the mains off will have zero effect.

Do you have a CWST?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ankspon
    edited 1 November 2010 at 10:10AM
    Options
    Sorry for being vague.I have a combi boiler and live in a ground floor flat so no tank in the attic.It is a bristan showerbar and the actual bar gets hot yet the flow of hot water seems slow when it was run without the cartridge in.
  • keystone
    Options
    Sorry for being vague.I have a combi boiler and live in a ground floor flat so no tank in the attic.
    No worries. When you say mains do you mean mains at the stopcock? If you turned the mains off there then the boiler won't have any water either so will not fire up when you demand hot water so all you'll be getting is residue of what is in the pipework.

Do you have any other isolating valves - perhaps specifically for the shower?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • ankspon
    Options
    I think there is some isolation valves?
  • keystone
    Options
    the actual bar gets hot yet the flow of hot water seems slow when it was run without the cartridge in.
    Did you check the filters? They'll be either in the inlet pipework or in the body of the valve. Hot may be blocked with carp. In any event if changing a cartridge its always sensible to change the filters at the same time.

Cheers
  • keystone
    Options
    I think there is some isolation valves?
    Did you try operating them then?

Cheers
  • ankspon
    Options
    I haven't checked the inlet filters yet,i am a bit unsure how.Do i remove the showerbar from the fittings coming through the wall,if so will the filters then be visible.Thanks for persevering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure