Learning to love the simple life my way xxx

Hi everyone,

I have been a 'lurker' on this forum for quite a while now and have found it helpful,inspiring and entertaining.

I had often thought that it would be so so helpful to me to keep a diary on here but was worried it would be boring and who would want to read it. But then got over myself and realised that the whole idea is to sort myself out and if this is a way of doing it, then just do it.

It may seem rather silly to have a DF diary with the buying of a new car as inspiration but I always need some kind of starting point to feel like there is an end to one era and the start of another. For me that end of an era is getting rid of a car that was going to cost money in repairs and causes me other troubles. At last I feel like a 'proper grown up' even though I really should already feel that way by my age. My messy and not terribly well car was an extension of my often cluttered and messy mind!

Anyway back to money-my husband and I have quite a few debts that we had both built up previously to us getting together and coupled with an 'almost whirlwind- ish' marriage also increased a little since being together.

We have really good intentions but have the odd slip up that at the time seems like a good idea and we then live to regret after. However we both have reasonably well paid jobs and financially things are looking up in terms of income. We are not 'heads in the sand' people and are quite aware of what we owe and live relatively simply. In fact we kind of relish the simple life that we have and for both of us we are really content with growing old and boring!

Husband is much better than I am at looking at the bigger picture-putting it altogether, adding it all up and working out when we should be DF. :j

On the other hand, I am much better at the short-term things that all add up- eg eating on the cheap etc and loving the challenge that this brings. I've also found that I am also the slightly more realistic and sensible one in terms of saying no to planning things such as holidays that I know we can't afford. I am also looking forward to taking on some of the more extreme money saving ideas that people come up with on here.

Yesterday we worked out that provided we add no more debt into our lives which we really should not be doing,we will be debt free in 35 months. Not too great but not too bad either. Feels do-able and whereas when I was on my own with my debts, I had no idea when they would end, there is now a focus. I am so determined to get there....and earlier if possible.

Later on I am going to write a list of things I want to get done in a given time-money and otherwise,to keep me focused.

Look forward to making new friends and sharing ideas and successes.

Have a great Halloween Sunday xxx
October NSD challenge 7/10:o
November NSD challenge 3/10 so far

SPC # 413 (but waiting until next year for grand opening!)
:beer:

Replies

• ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Ok so I've decided to join in with some of the challenges and create some tasks of my own. These tasks will be until my next payday - 25th Nov.

Here we go:
    Money:
    1. Spend no more than £100 on food and other groceries now until payday- 25th November. This should be plenty.
    2. Phone B Gas to reduce our monthly direct debits as we are now in credit.
    3. Use car only when necessary/essential- this is usually most days though unfortunately.
    4. Not spend any money on non-essential items at all until next payday.
    5. Plan meals well in advance to keep within budget and be more organised.
    6. Send off Lovefilm DVD which we've had for far too long- then cancel.
    7. Pay min payments to CC and try to make extra additional payments.
    8. Sell a couple of bits on ebay-including old car!
    9. Avoid putting heating on as much as possible.
    10. Very important one- keep spending diary and actually remember to keep track of it.

Back later for other tasks/challenges for myself.

• ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Aaah, no-one wants to speak to me!

Maybe I made the mistake of saying in my first post that I am not too worried aoutg whether people reply. Now I'm feeling rather like a sad socks billy no mates.:o

Have had some cheap days since weekend (had to really after spending rather furiously during the week. Had to get some food bits after work just now but tried really hard and held back-still spent over £25 which leaves me with rather little until end of month. Must start meal planning which seems to be the thing to do.

I think that this thread may also be a way of venting my frustration about job/work so if there are any other teachers out there it would be great to hear from you.

As I have no children yet I find that work can very easily take over my life and although I enjoy it I really want to rein that aspect of my life back in again. I can't imagine teaching FT and having children but that is probably what I will have to do financially and it totally scares the pants off me.

Any teachers who work FT and have children would be great to know how you cope so I can prepare myself for the shock later!

Will prob have another wittering on later once I've planned a lesson, marked some books, watched some crud on iplayer and maybe had a glass of the lovely ASDA own Baileys- a treat for the lesson plan xxx

• ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Hey diary

Have had great weekend so far- went to see friend yesterday who I've not seen since getting married last summer. She is quite a bit younger than me (she is early twenties) but is very 'old' in many ways for her age and it was great to chat about stuff. She is very good at not worrying about what other people think and just doing her thing which I wish I did more often. It was also really good to chat to somone who is very similar in their outlook on life and made me feel very :)

Prior to going I hadn't really thought I could be bothered as its so easy to forget how good having a chat and seeing your friends can be. Good thing is we put date in diary for next month and I'm looking forward to it rather than thinking I can't be ar*ed!

She is another bargain hunter and can be quite tight with her money which is great. In fact she is far more sensible that I am about money as she has her own flat now so is streets ahead of me in that respect! Despite this and me saying I dodn't want to spend money unnecessarily, I have since failed- whoops! We went into her local Primark which is AMAZING and I ended up buying a pair of shoes for £6 which I thought I could wear to school, a smart skirt for school £13, tights (necessity- about £7 in total) and a pair of boots for £12. However re the boots, mine had come to the end of their life and were letting in water big time.

Realised that I cannot be rid of my love of clothes and all things fashion, that is one of the things I love, just that I need to be sensible with this. I'd love to start learning to make my own clothes, one of the things I've been saying I'll do every bloody new year!!! Also I need to start using my entire wardrobe a bit more, planning things to wear- I need to get a bit more adventurous again, DO NOT WANT TO BECOME A FRUMP.

She is also a teacher so we discussed how cruddy it is that teaching kind of takes over your life a bit and that we are both starting to resent that a bit- was good to know that there is someone like me who finds that they want to do things/ hobbies etc but allow work to get in the way. I do realise that this is part of the problem- that I ALLOW it to get in the way. I just don't want to get to stage where that is all I live for. There is a teacher at my school who I just love but she has been at the school forever and ever and has very few friends, in fact not much of a life it seems and can be quite bitter at times because of this. She would have loved to have had children of her own and kept putting it off (well actually I don't think she's really ever been with a man to have the opportunity) and I really do not want to turn out like that- regretting the things I haven't done for a poxy job.

So, this has given me good reason to create some ideas for targets before Christmas- not necessarily money based. I don't want to e too vague with them as that just doesn't work and I'll review them regularly and update so that I can actually get going on them. Small steps and everything.

TARGETS FROM NOW UNTIL JAN 1ST 2011.
    1) Make one piece of clothing- simple to start with- before this NY.
    2) Try out one different recipe each week.
    3) Read and practise Calligraphy (got book and pen as present last Christnam and not even used- terrible behaviour) and send Christmas cards with my snazzy new writing.
    4) Walk regularly- not going to say I will start running again as this is unlikely to happen whereas walking is possible and any more is a bonus.
    5) Finish reading book on using time better and try using log of time to avoid time wasting. This book is also about workoing out what your goals in life are about so all related to this.
    6) Finish book I'm currtently reading and at least 3 others before NYear- might not sound ambitious to others but I'm slow at reading.
    7) Listen to other books I'd like to read on audiobook- finish Twilight series and Rebecca.
    8) Take up art again. Paint canvas for house. Draw picture of our little cat baby!
    9) Get wedding photos at last- only 18 months later!
    10) Aim to keep house and car clean and tidy regularly- try out some kind of rota/timetable if poss.
    11) Keep to routine of getting up early every day as I have been doing but go to bed earlier- none of this snuggling on sofa, falling asleep and waking up dribbling at 2:00 am.
    12) Keep lists daily of things that need to be done and try to stick to these.

Nuff for now I think. Now to complete part of one- finish book I'm reading.

Loads of love and speak soon diary xxx

• ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Woohoo! Yay thanks BEAT THE DEBT. I think I've read some of yours before too. Thank you for that, makes me feel more loved xxx

• mandz1mandz1 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    hey just read your diary. you sound really organised with your tasks written down, maybe thats where i keep going wrong.

good luck on your journey and keep up with the diary, it really helps. xx
    PAD Maker
  • ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Hi there mandz1, great to see another reply. I got all excited when I saw another name other than my own!

I'm not all that organised at all- in fact, not really at all. These are goals that I've been writing on my NY resolution list year after year but without fixed plan or timescale they never happen. I am now more determined. Anyway looking at your sig- and that of others who do same- you are more organised in terms of money as you have listed all debts you want to pay off and how much. This should be one of my next steps. So to add to the ever expanding list:
    13) Add mine and OHs debts to my sig to keep me focused.
    14) Make a start on decorating house. This should be made as several smaller goals which I'll think about and come to later.

See ya til later diary xxx

• kdentykdenty Forumite
    249 Posts
    I'm reading too. I'm a bit scared to write my own diary online but like reading all the others. You sound a bit like me ...like reading,want to try handicraft things (but I never seem to get motivated enough) walking as most motivated excercise I can mange and dribble when you sleep lol

It sounds like your OH is on board with the debt busting which is good. I wish mine got it!!

Have fun x
  • ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Hey kdenty,

Another one- yay and hello.

I was a bit worried about doing it myself but much easier I find to write your thoughts and ramblings for people who don't know you really to read than to write in an actual diary.

I've tried to write diaries before but am so paranoid about other people reading and finding out my secrets and general nerdiness that I haven't done it. This way you are as anonymous as you want but also have the benefit of support from others in similar position and general friendliness. Becomes addictive too. Give it a try xxx

• ott09ott09 Forumite
    46 Posts
    Poops cat has just bought in a mouse and its cowering in corner of bathroom. Been trying to coax it out of corner to save it but doesn't want to know. Cat is locked in bedroom and not happy with me!

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals