problem with car alarm

in Motoring
6 replies 704 views
cariscaris Forumite
730 Posts
My husband has a 1999 volvo v40 and now the alarm keeps going off for no obvious reason, this is happening at all times of night and day. We have checked that all windows and doors are properly closed and locked, we cannot see any loose wires anywhere, so any ideas of why this should be happening?

All ideas and suggestions appreciated

caris

Replies

• edited 31 October 2010 at 7:57AM
    Rossy.Rossy. Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    edited 31 October 2010 at 7:57AM
    It could be the sensors inside the car. They look like little micrphones. If they are faulty they usually trigger the alarm.

If you don't have those it could be a voltage issue with your battery triggering the alarm

Also have you recently been under the bonnet? If yes then there will be a sensor that sets off the alarm if it thinks it's being opened
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't find the problem, disconnect the alarm (you may need an auto-electrician to do that). Then it will never go off again - nobody takes a blind bit of notice of them anyway as it's just another b***** alarm going off.
  • cariscaris Forumite
    730 Posts
    Rossy. wrote: »
    It could be the sensors inside the car. They look like little micrphones. If they are faulty they usually trigger the alarm.

If you don't have those it could be a voltage issue with your battery triggering the alarm

Also have you recently been under the bonnet? If yes then there will be a sensor that sets off the alarm if it thinks it's being opened

Yes my husband had to get the AA out because the car wouldn't start, it was completely dead, so he went under the bonnet and it has been happening since this, its not consistent, its only gone off 3 times but at an untimely hour.

My husband will check the sensor under the bonnet and take it from there. Hopefully this will sort it.

Thank you
  • Sambucus_NigraSambucus_Nigra Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mine kept doing that - it was a spider setting the alarms off.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Rossy.Rossy. Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    caris wrote: »
    Yes my husband had to get the AA out because the car wouldn't start, it was completely dead, so he went under the bonnet and it has been happening since this, its not consistent, its only gone off 3 times but at an untimely hour.

My husband will check the sensor under the bonnet and take it from there. Hopefully this will sort it.

Thank you

glad i could sort of assist.

I don't know where it'll be located but generally they are found on the passenger side closest to the front of the car on the slam panel.
    If Adam and Eve were created first
    .Does that mean we are all inbred
  • philbostavrosphilbostavros Forumite
    236 Posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    What did the AA do to fix the car?

Last time this happened to me, it eventually turned out to be a duff battery. Checked the battery terminals to see if connections were tight and terminal snapped off - was corroded in the centre.

The alarm was seeing the voltage drop and this caused the alarm.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides