Average Electricity Usage When House Empty

I was wondering if many people know what their average Watts is when they are out during the day.

I have an electricity monitor that shows me what I am using, when everything is off and I head out to work it sits around 300 Watts.

Is this similar to others?

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,521 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Don't trust the monitor, they aren't highly calibrated pieces of engineering and small loads can lead to incorrect readings. Read the meter before you leave home and again when you return - this is accurate.
  • I find that over about a 10 hour period whilst the house is empty my useage is around 1.25Kw
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lorrishere wrote: »
    I find that over about a 10 hour period whilst the house is empty my useage is around 1.25Kw

Mine is similar to this with internet router, radio alarm clock, fridge and a chest freezer switched on
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    that shows me what I am using, when everything is off and I head out to work it sits around 300 Watts

But everything cannot be off then, can it?

Have you checked your electricity meter when you go out? It should not be moving at all if you have switched everything off.
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    Don't trust the monitor, they aren't highly calibrated pieces of engineering and small loads can lead to incorrect readings. Read the meter before you leave home and again when you return - this is accurate.

Pretty much what i was going to say, however helpful it can be (and at the best of times it's been pretty useful) its by no means accurate & should only really be used as a guide.
  • pothole50
    pothole50 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Have to agree with Yellowcard you cant trust these meters, I bought an Owl monitor from Argos cost £39.00 set it up and the usage during the day is not what the meter shows. A week later I went to B&Q and they sold the same monitor at discount price of £23.99. So bought that with the intention of taking the argos one back, but for an experiment I set them both side by side, one was reading 0.177 the other read 0.064, kept the one that gave a near enough reading to the wattage I was using, good gadget though.

pothole
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport