Clutter free gifts / stocking fillers??!

13»

Comments

• ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    As a result of starting to use this site in the last year I suspect stockings will cost Father Xmas a lot less this year. Once place I'll be sourcing bits from has got to be "Home Bargains". There are other threads around on the wondrousness of the shop, but for cheap bits I suspect it will be unbeatable. Amongst the bits I've purchased so far is a my little pony charm bracelet with ponies and a tiny pot of lip gloss hanging off it (49p) and bath bombs in the shapes of a teddy and a butterfly (15p). Father Xmas has previously been to Lush for these in our house and spent a fortune!

However HB have a constant and changing supply of stuff and I'm sure you could walk in the week before xmas and get a stocking full, including obscure sweeties, snacks, sachets of bizarre flavour hot chocolate drink etc.

I too include socks and undies in stockings - usually bought from Next sale in the summer and stashed away. Try and get the ones that would appeal to the kids i.e. with cartoon characters on etc to minimise the functionality of the gift!
  • Suewre wrote:
    My sister was gob smacked when I said I put pants, pj's, toothpaste, shower gel etc in my kids' stockings. I am glad I am not the only one. lol

A very good thread.

sue why not... most 'children' enjoy opening the prezzies :) usefall things are better than junk... my fave from my mum was socks (coloured ones) that she made to look like flowers so i had a bouquet coming from the top of my stocking... fab or what!
  • Does anyone know of a place that I can order personalised stockings? Not at ridiculous prices though!!!

When I was married to my EX OH his whole family had personalised stockings ... i loved going through mine. It was more exciting than the presents under the trees.
    Thought I would start it with my family this year.

For my daughter (3 1/2) I have bought hairbands, clips, kiddie make-up. I also put in the christmas sweets and chocies.
    Last year she was to young to appreciate it. Looking forward to this year.

Can I ask a silly question .... I lived in South Africa for over 25 years and so I am intrigued. Why would you put a Satsuma in the stocking??
    :dance: "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion". _party_
  • ruthyjo wrote:
    . Once place I'll be sourcing bits from has got to be "Home Bargains". !

Just had a look for the closest store to me... and they dont have any in the South! :cry:
    :dance: "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion". _party_
  • furrypig
    furrypig Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have put in brush/comb (dd always loosing hers) and flannels they especially like the ones that are really tiny and expand in water, managed to get a couple in Boots sale earlier this year! I often buy stocking bits in Jan sale esp from M & S as they eventually reduse things to £1 so you can get Chrimbo pants/sox etc much reduced!
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Can I ask a silly question .... I lived in South Africa for over 25 years and so I am intrigued. Why would you put a Satsuma in the stocking??

I think it dates back to when fruits were very hard to come by at that time of year. A Satuma and a nuts, usually walnut were counted as a treat when people didn't even think about spending huge amounts on presents like these days.

There is also a folk tale about it:-

One tradition goes that there was once a kindly nobleman whose wife had died of an illness leaving him and his three daughters in despair. When it came for the time for them to marry, the father became more and more depressed, as he knew that without money and land, nobody would wed them.

One night after the daughters had washed out their stockings and hung them over the fireplace to dry, Saint Nicholas, knowing the despair of the father, went to the nobleman's house and looked in to the window. When he saw the three little stockings hanging over the fire he climbed up the chimney and one by one, dropped three small bags of gold in to each one. The gold was just enough for the girls to marry and once again the father was happy. Nowadays, to represent that gold, we put out our Christmas stockings to be filled with presents and brightly coloured fruits in celebration of that day!

Foud on - http://www.ipsos-mori.com/polls/1999/marks.shtml
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    any ideas for clutter free pressies for older people?? ok my Mum!!! I don't want to add more tat to the house....

I can start a new thread if this is too off topic

x
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Missbehaving

I think the reason for satsumas/clementines/oranges go back to the "olden days" when people were really poor and oranges were a real luxury.

My parents (both in their 80's talk about the stockings they had which always had an orange).

In our house we do a stocking for everyone and they all include the obligatory orange, also a big shiny apple and a bag of coins.

We also put practical stuff in such as toothbrushes and toiletries, a personal mug or cup, some fun stuff such as small games and puzzles and jokey gifts such as a pair of sexy knickers or carton character socks. Also things like posh marmalade or jams & any special foods or treats we know they like.

My husband always puts jokey "household" stuff in mine such as fun rubber gloves or a kitchen tool or gadget. Once he put a scrubbing brush in!!! I must confess he always redeems himself by putting a little piece of jewellery in as well though. Ah, bless him.

I agree that themes work well - seeds and little gadgets for gardeners, mini bobbins of coloured threads and packets of needles etc for sewers that kind of thing. And of course, anything homemade is wonderful.

I've already made a good start and have a draw full of bits and bobs. My favourite haunts for stocking fillers are £1 shops, Wilkinson's, local markets and craft fairs. ASDA, Tesco and Sainsbury's are also quite good. BHS and Burtons also have reasonably priced "boys toys" for the men in your life.

I love Christmas and I love hunting out nice presents for my friends and family. I don't spend a fortune - I just try and be a bit thoughtful and imaginative. I think it takes time so my tip is make an early start so that you have time to shop around for the best prices and bargains.

Happy Christmas Shopping Everyone.
  • Nudge
    Nudge Posts: 6,979 Forumite
    In matalan sale yesterday there was various small gifts suitable for wrapping up for pressies there was cd walletts and jewel boxes in a nice young design
    and other bits all priced at £1.50p. They were very nice for gifts so worth a look
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure