🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is it possible to run central heating without heating hot water tank?

Options
Sorry if I sound like a complete ignoramus on this (I am actually!!) :o but I can heat the hot water without having the central heating on but can't run the central heating without having hot water. Is this normal? We use an electric shower so don't actually need to use the hot water tank all the time and it galls me thinking that I'm paying to heat a tank of hot water that's not being used when we have the central heating on. I'm assuming here that the hot water tank water and radiator water are separate entities (I told you I was an ignoramus!):o.

The boiler is a newish Potterton Kingfisher. The control panel has separate 'central heating' and 'hot water' tabs (that's why I assumed I could have central heating on its own). 'Hot water' works on its own, but 'central heating' on its own, without clicking 'hot water', although the light comes on, produces no results. Also I can't find any thermostat. There's a dial on the front of the boiler that seems to control the temperature by turning it up and down but no thermostat. Is this right? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bertville
    Options
    We can't have heating on its own and I think it is down to how the plumbing is arranged. I'm sure must modern sytems will allow heat only but not sure how old ours is. The radiator water does usually come from a seperate tank.
  • dgt75
    dgt75 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    There could be too reason for this.
    1, Your hot water is heated by gravity circulation and not pumped.
    2, There is only one motorised valve on the system.

To check the first one have a look on top of your boiler and see how many pipes come from it. If there are 4 or 5 then it uses gravity for the hot water but if there are only 2 or 3 then it is pumped. If its the first one then you need to get a plumber to change the system to a "fully pumped" system, which can be quite costly depending how accessable your pipes are. If its the second type then a mid position valve would have to be fitted instead of the one there, and the pipe work and wiring would have to be changed slightly. Either way it is best to let someone who's qualified do the alterations. Hope this helps, sorry theres no quick fix, but at least your boiler isn't broken.
  • beetrootjuicer
    Options
    dgt75 wrote:
    There could be too reason for this.
    There is only one motorised valve on the system.

a mid position valve would have to be fitted instead of the one there, and the pipe work and wiring would have to be changed slightly. Either way it is best to let someone who's qualified do the alterations. Hope this helps, sorry theres no quick fix, but at least your boiler isn't broken.

Thanks, DGT75. It must be having only one motorised valve then. Boiler is only a couple of years old but I think the actual system may have been fitted 30+ years ago so as Bertville says that may be the reason! Don't worry, I wouldn't dream of tackling any plumbing job:eek: . My plumbing knowledge and experience goes as far as buying Mr Muscle in Tescos to clear a blocked U bend! At least I now know it's not me being thick and not operating the system properly. I suppose I'd have to balance out the cost of fitting a mid position valve, etc. against any saving on the heating bill to see if it's worth doing. Anyone any good at maths?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport