PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning chums well I have resisted spending any of my food purse money and will do so today but tomorrow I will have to shop as I am almost out of fresh fruit and veg and need to top up on a few things ,but I'm pleased at how the month has gone so far only had two days this month where I actually bought any food shopping. I did a revised freezer list and still have a lot of food in ther so I'm going to make a concentrated effort to get this food mountain down a bit before I get anymore. my cupboards are pretty ful as well but its cleaning bits and odds and ends that need topping up.I have quite a few vouchers and money off coupons as well which should help.So tomorrow after a good breakfast I am off to Sainsbob & Tescos and possibly M&S for a major shop(well major for me as I don't normally spend that much,just get what I need).But what ever I spend it will take me up to the end of the month at least.With the weather not being good I would rather get it all in one go then I can stay indoors in the warm and dry rather than braving the elements to shop.
    Wish me luck chums I bet I will notice the price increases as I haven't been near a food shop for awhile
    Cheers JackieO xx
    P.S. I went to a 'meet' yesterday in London but the £7.00 I spent came from my 'happy cash stash' of money .This is my pot where I put a little into every week for outings and totally seperate from my food purse which was left at home so I wouldn't be tempted
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning folks havent posted for a while, have been picking up bargains in our local somerfields as theya re beong refurbished and made into a Co-op now. Havent done a big shop as such but at the moment my spend this month is £298, which is not bad as the freezer is full, only need cold meat, milk and rolls for the week.
    Every days a School day!
  • nicola1303
    Options
    I've lost the plot this month. My 87 year old Gran died on the 2nd November so tbh I've not been ' with it '.

My money purse has £67 and odd pence in and the freezer, fridge and cupboards are rammed full of food. Only got until the 28th so it's doable as I will only need fresh stuff and cooked meat for lunches.

I'm not buying for the freezer until we're desperate as I want to clear most of it for the big xmas shop.

I'm still ' lurking ' and getting the bargain tips and enjoying reading all of your posts. I will hopefully be back in action at the end of the month.

Nicola x
    Mum to 3 gorgeous kids

Hoping to have a better year this year.

RIP Dad 8/9/10 and Grandma 2/11/10 My special Angels:A:A
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    WANT TO BE FREE--My wife buys cheese, fruit and veg at the pazar. İts a travelling show as you say but prices go up at the one close to where we live!--The upper class all shop there with no fear of loss of face!-its vogue but we get special prices !
    My wife is the most grounded woman when it comes to finding a bargain and your advice confirms this. İts a contradiction to the British way of doing things by buying a lot of things away from the clutches of Mr t etc --she buys in smaller places which have chains based around the city--a bit like t express but a local chain--these existed when i was a kid in the uk but have since been driven out by the supermarkets there.-Another thing she gets by doing this is as you say-quality. The supermarket bread for example is bland but local bread shops is fresh tasty and a lot cheaper--the same for fish, meat and cheese.--
    My wife has gone to kipa which is a division of MR t in turkey so i will see if the final 15 days of the month is cheaper than the first 15 by buying in bulk--kipa is the new boy in town and my wife thinks they offer some sort of reduction in prices.
    We had simit(gevrick) with nuts on this morning accompanied with cheese olives egg and tomatoes --a lovely sunday treat and will last me until tea time. i love sundays!!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • underthestairs
    Options
    Morning everyone

Another couple of spending days to add for me. Friday was £1.60 for the chippie as we had chips with our lasagne (better than £19.99 for pizza which OH wanted) and £24.76 at Mr S yesterday. I had a £10 off a £30 spend so thought I'd top up on a couple of bits (bill before discounts £40.37). Still mainly buying what I need for the week as menu planning and using freezer & cupboard stocks.
    Thank you to all

UTS.
  • sharronej
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    Also my wife is too trigger happy with dial in food-its not junk food but its costly!

This comment made me laugh :rotfl: I have a friend who regularly gets to 3pm and decides she doesn't want to cook, she is also trigger happy with takeaways and even more so with pub meals .....I could only wish :D

Didn't mean to offend, I just know from experience that it's so hard if you and your partner are not 'on board' - I've spent years trying to get my oh to see it my way but to no avail :mad:
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 3,401 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My wife just got back from Kipa--the 'son' of Mr T.! 2 quid for a can of heinz x 2 cans--she had to have them!!--i rolled my eyes and voiced my consternation--i hate going shopping with her because she does things like that and we end up arguing in the shop--i remember from past times!--to me money is more important than having/buying a luxury import that i have been eating most of my life for a fraction of the cost!(My wife's mum makes a good immitation of baked beans but without the high sugar and salt intake--i like them more!)
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • slbhill
    slbhill Posts: 5,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sue14 wrote: »
    BTW, I got a pumpkin yesterday (never tried it before, but thought we should give it a go), can anyone give me any ideas what to do with it? Thanks in advance!

Sue.

I did the same thing last week, didn't even know if I liked pumpkin (fortunately it turns out I do! And my OH doesn't dislike it any more than other veg :rotfl:).

We had some with the roast last weekend - sprayed with oil & sprinkled with s&p then roasted for about half an hour, that was yummy. Other than that I've just been throwing it in with other veg to boil (it needs longer than most - 15 to 20 mins), or in stews and casseroles. Trying it in stir fry tonight, the info I found said put it in the wok & cook covered for around 5 minutes before adding other stuff. My searches also turned up that it can be mashed with a bit of butter and black pepper, like swede or turnip, although I haven't tried it yet. One pumpkin certainly goes a long way!

Currently trying to work out what I can do with the seeds that I harvested from it!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    de1amo wrote: »
    ... (My wife's mum makes a good immitation of baked beans but without the high sugar and salt intake--i like them more!)

any chance she'd share the recipe with us please? ;)
    slbhill wrote: »
    ... Currently trying to work out what I can do with the seeds that I harvested from it!

I'm thinking of the same thing, anyone have hints please? ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    slbhill wrote: »
    Currently trying to work out what I can do with the seeds that I harvested from it!

You can roast them for nibbles. On a baking tray at a low/medium heat with a little chilli flakes, a sprinkling of garlic granules and some salt and pepper.

for about 15-20 mins- Yummy!!!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family