We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Thornproof gloves - do they really exist?

Options
Hi folks

Has anyone found a brand that can genuinely stand up to the likes of berberis and pyracantha even if you inadvertantly grab it a bit hard?

Thanks

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't and I've tried all sorts of very thick leather gloves.

I know you can get kevlar gloves, but I've never tried them. I suspect it would be very difficult to get a glove that would keep out those thorns. I am just very careful.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    I've been using some thick leather gauntlets, don't remember where from, which resist all brambles, roses etc even my growing pup was not able to make a dent in them.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A flat roofer accidently left a glove behind, unsure what it's made of, but it's quite thick and rubbery/plasticy. It seems good against brambles.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure any glove is totally thornproof but try googling hedgelaying mitts
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pruning shears?
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • morg_monster
    morg_monster Posts: 2,392 Forumite
    Options
    Showa gloves are ace and I have found that they stand up to brambles, but not pyrcantha or other "big" thorns. Doh. they are quite thin though, so maybe with another larger "thornproof-but-not-really" pair on top it might work?
  • cautious_bob
    cautious_bob Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2010 at 6:05PM
    Options
    Hello
    Husquavarna make a very good gardening glove- leather fingers and palm, fabric back . The nice thing about it is that its quite a neat glove, close fitting and good to wear when using secateurs etc.
    Cost about £10 a pair
    I've done a lot of very rough work in them (esp brambles) - and I don't like wearing gloves - mind you- as they are gloves your wrists get scratched to bits anyway.
    As Husquavarna make chainsaws etc a horticultural equip supplier is likely to stock these gloves (but these are not chainsaw safety gloves- they are a different item)
    Well worth a tenner in my book
    I also use heavy leather gauntlets(£4- made in China) same supplier - good for handling barbed wire, moving concrete blocks etc but so thick that cannot use secateurs etc with them- only suitable for those partic tasks- but great protection for those heavy duty jobs
    Bob
  • N1mr0d
    N1mr0d Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, from the clues I have managed to find a range that are designed for picking up hypodermic needles, a connection that I hadn't thought of. They are not cheap, and not guaranteed to be thornproof but I am going to try a pair. As for protecting your arms my old waxproof cotton does that even though it is consigned to live in the shed due to its aroma.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure